• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Rilakkuma and Kaoru Worth Watching?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I loved the hell out of this. However I must say I didn’t really have much issue with the sub.

Plus while the acting in the dub is pretty good, it often oddly matched up with the lip flaps because of the stop motion nature of them.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Only seen the first two episodes of Rilakkuma and Kaoru but it was an odd experience.

Aggretsuko is the product of a toyline for children, but the way Aggretsuko itself is written is as an adult sit-com/drama, despite looking like a children's show.

Rilakkuma and Kaoru is actually written and directed like a children's show. From the pacing, to the acting, to the gags, to the moralistic message at the end of every episode.

The only difference is that the messages and themes of Rilakkuma are completely based off adult life-experiences. It is very much a children's show for adults.

Which honestly, not sure how to feel about. On one hand, the idea of it doesn't sit right with me. On the other hand, it's still a gorgeous show and it's genuinely something I've never seen before.

And honestly I take a children's show that is trying to grapple with adult responsibilities and adult living. Rather than a show that panders to our worst wish-fulfillment fantasies, like a lot of anime being produced.
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
The short answer is "absolutely." Adorable show that can almost satisfy me while I wait anxiously for season 2 for Aggretsuko.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
^This! I kept thinking that Kaoru and Retusko would make great friends.

This is a very enjoyable little show which has something for everyone ( well, except for people who are totally averse to stop-motion anime...or bears.)
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:

Aggretsuko is the product of a toyline for children, but the way Aggretsuko itself is written is as an adult sit-com/drama, despite looking like a children's show.

Most of Sanrio's products are aimed at children, but they made Aggretsuko to specifically target adult women, just like the anime does.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I loved this series. Rilakkuma reminds me of a portable version of Snorlax. Kiiroitori was my favorite of all the characters as well. The mushroom thing was hilarious, but I also loved how defensive it became when Kaoru was preparing to move out and was threatening to get rid of KT's collection of bottles filled with loose change it had found.

I had wished that Kaoru herself was a stronger character overall. She seems to worry too much about what others think of her, particularly other women who think of her more as a joke rather than take her seriously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1