• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Fairy Gone Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Short answer? Not so far.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Honestly it's got alot of good points going for it still. It's definitely not what alot of us were hoping for but it's definitely got alot of story left to tell which should be fun
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I decided to watch Fairy Gone because P.A. Works rarely produces a clunker and Kenichi Suzuki directed a bunch of shows I like, but the story has been very uninteresting so far, and once the characters start fighting, I dread the moment when they'll start using those ugly CG fairies. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm up for 24 episodes of this. Flawed as it was, Sirius the Jaeger made a much better impression on me with its first four episodes.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Fri May 03, 2019 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
zenbud

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
" I guess the response to last year's Sirius the Jaeger was good enough they decided to go forward with another one? But instead of vampires, this time we're dealing with Fairies, making all the proper nouns in this show way harder to take seriously."

It's cute that this guy thinks that an anime can be made in one year like that based on reception from an anime of 2018. This anime is obviously in the making for years with planning, pre-production and production per se.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
It's just like NCIS. In the fictional universe, NCIS gets away with criminal violation of civil rights on a weekly basis, all in the name of securing America against A-rabs. While, in the real world, the real NCIS (whose offices are not so designer or well lit) is continually under Congressional investigation for violation of Constitutional Law. Art imitates life! Or, um, art imitates art that doesn't imitate life. Or something.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I see the lukewarm reception you guys are giving this show. Unfortunately for me, the English dub for this show just happens to be one of this season's best. Caitlin Glass and her voice cast are doing great work on this show, so even if the show isn't great (I think it's alright so far, and I like the characters, especially Marlya), I'm gonna wanna stick with it.

Just 22 more episodes for me to go! nervous laughter
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Man I remember being hyped because the designs looked cool and I wanted a surprise this season rather than just the solid bets like Ikuhara and remakes of beloved shojo shows.

Ah well...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
zenbud wrote:
"

It's cute that this guy thinks that an anime can be made in one year like that based on reception from an anime of 2018. This anime is obviously in the making for years with planning, pre-production and production per se.

Given how bad some of the production and writing is it should've spent more time being planned out.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
So far I think Fairy Gone is just ok but it's not doing anything special or with substance but it's a competent enough show that I don't mind watching it when there's not many other shows I'm watching this season. I feel like Magus Bride spoiled me with it's detailed fantasy world building.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The number of good fantasy action shows in recent years (or at all) was always extremely low, especially when it comes to shows that have a rather detached feeling. P.A.Works are always at their best when they pursue mundane themes (Hanasaku Iroha, Shirobako and Sakura Quest being their best works imo). As such I never had high expectations of Fairy Gone and couldn't really imagine it being better than average. It doesn't help that the show doesn't have a particularly strong visual identity either, despite the solid animation.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
So, what this article tells me is that it's time to watch Baccano! again.

...or get back to reading the novels, I suppose.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
"Hey, what's more steampunk than taking an existing, functional piece of technology and making it both less practical and stupider looking?"

[sigh] Do *NOT* make me break out the Steampunk Instructional Video....

(Specifically: "Just Glue Some Gears On It" by Reginald Pikedevant, Esq.)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:45 am Reply with quote
As far as fantasy anime with a cliched premise but is still entertaining goes, I think this season's Wiseman's Grandchild has stood out a lot more to me than Fairy Gone.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:47 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
As far as fantasy anime with a cliched premise but is still entertaining goes, I think this season's Wiseman's Grandchild has stood out a lot more to me than Fairy Gone.

Even moreso if Wiseman's Grandchild had the animation budget.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
P.A.Works are always at their best when they pursue mundane themes (Hanasaku Iroha, Shirobako and Sakura Quest being their best works imo).

I thought they did a good job with Uchouten Kazoku about tanuki and tengu. I certainly liked it better than Hanasaku Iroha.

That said, I watched two episodes of Fairy Gone because of PAW and haven't watched another moment. Iroduku was pretty but not their best work either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2