• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Inuyasha Anime on Blu-ray Disc This Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
...it's inevitable. I buy an old show on DVD, and like a month later it's announced for BD. Eh, who needs money, right? Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they don't take forever with this like they have their Pokemon and Bleach BDs.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, yet ANOTHER isekai show?! These things are so unoriginal (i kid, i kid...)

This is one that my brother liked quite a bit, never got around to seeing it myself. I think i'd be a bit more interested in an Uresei Yatsura release, but i'm sure Inuyasha is the more popular property that will get a ton of sales. (also, inspired a great Robot Chicken sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7k-BbwVqxo )
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they label the seasons properly, there's only 2 (1 season is 167 episodes, the other one is Final Act). I can accept them labeling smaller releases as "Part 1" but calling it a Season (like on the picture used for this article on their old DVDs) is just factually incorrect and confusing.

Second, I wonder how they're gonna do this...
1. Will this be a ton of 480p episodes per disc?
2. Fewer upscaled episodes?
3. Or did they get higher resolution masters?

Those are the 3 possibilities I can see for this. The first one I'd consider pointless since anyone that cares about disc space could/should just rip the episodes to a computer. Takes a bit of time, but it's worth doing in the end. The 2nd would I'd also find mostly pointless since upscaling 480p can be done decently on the media player end already, these days. So I hope there was some higher quality masters available to make proper HD versions.

Pre-post edit: Found a post saying that up episode 98 were done on traditional cels while 99-167 were digital SD and thus would HAVE to be upscaled. But I'd still prefer that - that 98 episodes are "native" high res. It would probably be noticeable to people like me when the upscaling shows up but it's still better than having the entire season upscaled.

Pre-post edit 2: After googling more, it seems other countries have released this on blu-ray and they apparently were FULLY upscaled. I really hope Viz goes for the highest quality available for each episode, like I mentioned above. Upscaling 1-98 would be silly if they were really done traditionally.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha is going to be interesting on blu-ray considering the first 100 episodes or so are all painted on cels, with the later 60+ episodes switching to digital around 2003.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I've still yet to watch a single episode so hopefully, I'll be able to buy as these are released. I hadn't seen RANMA when Viz released that but now enjoying it as I do, I really need to go and buy those sets too.

MAISON IKKOKU better be next after the INUYASHA blu-rays and the URUSEI YATSURA omnibus releases.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
If the visual quality is good, and it is released in 4-5 big sets, I might upgrade.

EDIT: Never mind, it looks like it is going to be released in 7 parts.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...it's inevitable.

As is Viz skating CAREFULLY around the edges of upgrading all their Rumiko Takahashi tetralogy, before having to get to that series next, and just as inevitable:
Thirty years, and Maison is still the grudging stumbling block at the company.

They think they can breathe a sigh of relief though, as there's lots, and lots...and lots...of IY to get through first before they have to face it.
(Or having to wonder whether their UY manga reissue sold enough copies to get the series.)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
DirtyCircle wrote:

MAISON IKKOKU better be next after the INUYASHA blu-rays and the URUSEI YATSURA omnibus releases.
I wouldn't be surprised if Discotek winds up getting Maison Ikoku and Urusei Yatsura.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Not really interested in a remaster by Viz, but who knows when Sunrise will get around to do it themselves.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
oh my gosh, YES.
Musk

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I just hope they don't take forever with this like they have their Pokemon and Bleach BDs.

Yah I hear yah I only own up to set 3 of Bleach blu rays and still waiting for set 5 to be released. I hope they haven't quietly cancelled those.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...it's inevitable. I buy an old show on DVD, and like a month later it's announced for BD. Eh, who needs money, right? Laughing

I should know by now to wait but I just never learn.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
One thing I'm wondering about is if this BD release will include the original opening theme song as the "Change The World" song was replaced by BGM music on all the streaming platforms? Although Change The World was on the original DVD release.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I will only upgrade if the first 98 episodes are native HD. There’s not much that can be done with the rest of the series, but the first half of the show could absolutely benefit from a new scan since it was shot on film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2