• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: The Battle of Unato

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
I want to see this so badly!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
My big hope was that this would put the franchise back on track to continue, rather than being a send-off or something. I'm one of those people who loved the first half of the show and was let down by the second - but, even then, it was very clear there was plenty more that could be done with the characters and world, with that out of the way.

So I'm glad to hear this movie seems to be just that. Looking forward to whenever they run this here.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I was afraid this movie would be a condensed version of the story that was originally meant for season two, buf if this sets up a new status quo and ends by teasing a sequel, then I hope a second season really is in the cards.
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would dub or even release the compilation films. I felt they were actually better than the first season and added a few scenes that also actually added to the experience. I saw them in theaters several years ago. They would pair perfectly with this movie as well.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll take the reviewer's word on the action scenes--but does the movie still include the characters dancing like we saw in the trailers? That alone makes me especially excited to see this--aside from it being a continuation of an awesome series where we get to see what the characters are up to, of course.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The movie was just okay. Mostly due to it's inconsistencies for me.

The action sequence are over the top in places and there's a definite drop in quality during some of them. Otherwise if you enjoyed the action you got during the show you won't be disappointed.

The best part of the movie is ultimately the relationship building that is going on. I'm kinda shocked that it took a movie to do this given the nature of the "zombie horror" genre.
Tind

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
SPOILER

https://i.imgur.com/HQ9kPCw.png

The part which many was waiting for Embarassed
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes, good to read the review and it sounds like what I was hoping for, the wait to get to see this is going to be painful! lol

Kicksville wrote:
My big hope was that this would put the franchise back on track to continue, rather than being a send-off or something. I'm one of those people who loved the first half of the show and was let down by the second - but, even then, it was very clear there was plenty more that could be done with the characters and world, with that out of the way.

So I'm glad to hear this movie seems to be just that. Looking forward to whenever they run this here.

Same here, I loved this show, especially the first half and felt there was a ton of potential left even after and despite the well-known problems of the second half and it veering away from a lot of what made the first half so good (though parts of the second half were still exciting)
Yeah, it's great that the movie is sounding like a good real continuation that does a lot of development and getting things back where they should be without being a send-off and actually setting things up to continue well.

brammerhammer23 wrote:
I wish they would dub or even release the compilation films. I felt they were actually better than the first season and added a few scenes that also actually added to the experience. I saw them in theaters several years ago. They would pair perfectly with this movie as well.

Neat. If there's descriptions out there I actually still need to look those up and read about the new footage since I keep forgetting to do so, since we probably won't get them.

I'd like it if they release them too. I'd be pretty picky with recap movies, but I would still likely buy them for my favorites like this and AoT if they'd released them, since they'd be good for refresh watching. Especially strange since they already did the work to dub/re-dub/edit the AoT compilation movies for the theater release.
sightpicture

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
does the movie still include the characters dancing like we saw in the trailers?

It's the credits sequence at the end and is otherwise divorced from the main plot.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:10 am Reply with quote
I did NOT read the spoilers, as warned. I never finished this show, though always planned to (will get around to it one of these days). Thought it was finished, but apparently the story keeps going?

That's..... nice to hear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1