• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sequel Game Revealed With Trailer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
It should have been Super Mario Odyssey that got a sequel.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
noticed a theme for me with this E3...

$$$ almost every announcement is draining my wallet.

least this one seems a ways away and lets me save!!!bought every zelda since ocarina of time and this ones got me pretty excited.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
"In production"
so we'll probably see it in 2022 Crying or Very sad

just let us play as Zelda, Nintendo
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
It should have been Super Mario Odyssey that got a sequel.

BotW was just as worthy

And as if they won't make a sequel of Odyssey soon enough either.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
"In production"
so we'll probably see it in 2022 Crying or Very sad

just let us play as Zelda, Nintendo

Just in time for when I finally finish the first game Wink
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Just remove the weapon durability garbage, please. That's all I ask.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Hello, 911, I'd like to report a mass murder. Nintendo just killed all other E3 pressers and is now using the bodies as a throne
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I desperately hope it has a more engaging narrative... I want this to be the Majora's Mask to Breath's Ocarina.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I desperately hope it has a more engaging narrative... I want this to be the Majora's Mask to Breath's Ocarina.

Same here. I wasn't a huge fan of BOTW. When they revealed the gameplay back then I was pretty disappointed and disinterested even though - or BECAUSE - Zelda is one of my favorite franchises of all time but then that story trailer, the one that showed a lot of those flashback scenes and had great music, got me hyped again which then left me sorely disappointed once the final game didn't only not have any music like that but also had all the plot/story told in flashbacks taking place long before the player even gets involved and the overall atmosphere of the game was just largely relaxing and about one-note exploration.

The world was nice and so was the general lack of hand-holding. I also had a surprising amount of fun on the Great Plateau due to how you were forced to find your way around in interesting ways (such as having to cut down a tree to cross a gap and some physics based interactions) but once you get off, all exploration lost any kind of meaning. Everything remotely interesting would just lead to the same thing: A Shrine. No matter how big the build-up and context in the world. All you got as rewards were weapons/shields (which is why the durability system was NECESSARY to put value on those), as well as upgrades to your inventory (again, going hand in hand with the weapons and durability system), health and climbing. The latter making exploration even more one-note since climbing and gliding solved 99% of the environmental puzzles/obstacles/challenges, very very rarely forcing or even encouraging the player to change their approach. Health upgrades and stronger weapons just lead to the game getting easier after the Great Plateau, which added to the one-note-ness.

It had some interesting ideas, I did like the exploration until me fighting one of those dragons in an underwhelming way for an underwhelming prize broke my immersion and sense of wonder completely. Still it had a good foundation. But ultimately I just missed some more variety, some progression (your abilities, playstyle, approach, etc. are largely the same from getting off the plateau to the end), more music, more story/plot, dungeons, items, etc.
It was also way too relaxing for its own good. You were in a post-apocalyptic world that's on the brink of getting destroyed completely. You are the world's final hope and Zelda has been waiting for you forever, to save her and Hyrule by defeating Ganon long after an initial battle, which you don't get to play or even see, was lost.
It's a dark, high-stakes setting but you never really feel that. The world is beautiful and relaxing and people seem to largely be fine too.
It just felt like a very unfinished, bare-bones prototype with a ton of potential but just as much missing. Still I enjoyed it enough to play through it all and played a few hours of the harder difficulty they added later, which I liked a little more (though I wish enemies weren't just such tedious damage sponges).

So while I would've highly preferred a teaser for a completely new game with a new approach and setting, I am still cautiously looking forward to learning more about this one.
Hopefully them being able to recycle the setting and a lot of the assets (I assume), as well as the engine and stuff, will mean this game won't take FOREVER to come out and maybe they're taking a good hard look at what works in the original and what doesn't and maybe the story will be more immediate and close, maybe there will be dungeons and items, maybe there will be progression. Maybe they will challenge the player to change their approach a little (or maybe they will even get rid of the sail cloth and nerf the climbing) and maybe they will have a difficulty curve and just make things feel more meaningful again. And maybe they'll make it darker and/or more unique and experimental in different ways, just like they did with Majora back in the day. That'd be neat.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
If BotW2 is still in Hyrule how does that make this any different from a DLC pack? MM reuses assets from OoT but at least it takes place in Termina with all new characters and dynamic gameplay system. The Switch has so little games they have to release BotW twice.
Badcrazy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
If BotW2 is still in Hyrule how does that make this any different from a DLC pack? MM reuses assets from OoT but at least it takes place in Termina with all new characters and dynamic gameplay system. The Switch has so little games they have to release BotW twice.

It was just a teaser noting it takes place right after BotW... Game could in theory take place anywhere..
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Getting Majora's Mask vibes...

Sounds kinda soon for a big new game, and I guess that's the case considering this is just an 'in production' announcement.

But if it's coming out soon, like in a year, then it could be a smaller affair that reuses the BotW Map in a Majora's Mask kind of situation.

That'd be cool.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
BOTW was pretty good but I had some issues with it. Hopefully the sequel will:

-either tone down weapon durability a lot or at least make it an optional feature
-have a stronger story (yes, Zelda games' stories aren't incredible or anything, but BOTW was really un-noteworthy in this department)
-not just re-use too much of the same world again, heck I hope it's a whole new map to explore. I don't want Tales of Xillia 2 all over again

Also the trailer has me hopeful that this could mean Zelda is your companion akin to Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite or Ellie in The Last of Us, I think that would be really cool
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Stiles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, maybe we'll get an actual Zelda game this time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2