• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Screens Live-Action Kingdom Film in N. America in Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Funimation, for the Shinsuke Sato goodness! Looking forward!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
Awesome!!! I was hoping that Funimation would pick this up for a release in North American theaters. The movie was really good and I wanted to bring my dad to go watch it. I think he would really enjoy it. (And I also wanna hear Wasted Nights in surround sound again. Wink)
connysanada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:05 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Funi will dub this.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
connysanada wrote:

Doesn't Funimation dub everything? I was personally surprised that even Hirokazu Kore-eda's Hana had a dub even though it isn't the kind of movie, which typically get English language dubs.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Doesn't Funimation dub everything? I was personally surprised that even Hirokazu Kore-eda's Hana had a dub even though it isn't the kind of movie, which typically get English language dubs.

Assassination Classroom parts 1 and 2, I am a Hero and Death Note: Light up the New World are just a few sub-only examples. I think Funimation tried dubbing everything at first before deciding to go more economical with their live-action releases and being very picky which ones get the special treatment.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Assassination Classroom parts 1 and 2, I am a Hero and Death Note: Light up the New World are just a few sub-only examples. I think Funimation tried dubbing everything at first before deciding to go more economical with their live-action releases and being very picky which ones get the special treatment.

I think the first two Death Note movies should also count here considering their re-release is missing the Viz dub (and extras leaving that set completely bare-bones). Another example is Zebraman 2 which was licensed and released sub-only in 2011 (back when FUNi was still dubbing everything). It's a notable example to me because Media Blasters had the first film prior to this and actually had it dubbed.

As for Kingdom, I highly doubt it unless Japan is willing to pay for it again like they did with the anime (hence that being dubbed in Canada at a unknown studio).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
connysanada wrote:

If they use the same dub staff they did for the anime, I sure hope not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1