• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Manga Gets Worldwide Digital Release in 10 Languages Starting on July 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:14 am Reply with quote
Admittedly I'm not sure I want to triple dip for the series, but I do hope English will be one of the languages. A series as huge as Sailor Moon not having a digital release until now is just bizarre.

Hopefully Naoko can convince Togashi to do the same for Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter too. Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
I already have the physical copies of the manga so I don't really have a need for a digital release and I don't buy digital manga in general. I hope the digital release will make it easier for casual fans to read the manga if English is included.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I already have the physical copies of the manga so I don't really have a need for a digital release and I don't buy digital manga in general. I hope the digital release will make it easier for casual fans to read the manga if English is included.

Considering how English is the universal language for communication, I think it'l be one of the languages they'll translate it to.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm only starting to purchase and read the manga in print form. Since its such a classic with an iconic heroine, I plan to continue buying the rest of the volumes (even though it can have really scary looking villains).
Adv193

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Admittedly I'm not sure I want to triple dip for the series, but I do hope English will be one of the languages. A series as huge as Sailor Moon not having a digital release until now is just bizarre.

Hopefully Naoko can convince Togashi to do the same for Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter too. Laughing

Actually Viz has already released their digital copies of Yu Yu Hakusho a few years back which is available on their website and other digital platforms such as Amazon Kindle or ComiXolgy for $6.99 each which is $3 off the physical price.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I already have three physical editions of the series (Tokyopop, 2011 Kodansha release, and am currently collecting the kanzenban release) so I don’t see a reason to buy it as digital if it’ll be the same version that’s currently being released.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Nice..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Hasn't the 25th anniversary passed us by?
murdock_tm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
BTW, all 10 volumes of the Ultimate Edition are now available on the Amazon Japanese Kindle Storefront - this is new as previously they were not available. (Here's hoping Sailor V becomes available on the storefront soon as well).

Nothing yet available on the US storefront except for copyright violations, but here's hoping that changes ... at some time on July 1
Adv193

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:00 am Reply with quote
Just confirmed that US is one of these countries which is for the Eternal Editions only.

Here is a link to ComiXolgy to confirm this:

https://www.comixology.com/Sailor-Moon-Eternal-Edition-Vol-1/digital-comic/788769?ref=YnJvd3NlL25ldy1jb21pY3MvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9SZWNlbnRMaXN0MA

Their price is half off of the price for the physical release counterparts.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It's the Eternal Edition version which have a revised translation (I heard that there were some issues with translation in the 1st Kodansha Comics release)
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
kpossibles wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It's the Eternal Edition version which have a revised translation (I heard that there were some issues with translation in the 1st Kodansha Comics release)

Yep, I go over some of the differences between the eternal and previous Kodansha release here.
https://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com/2018/09/sailor-moon-eternal-edition-volume-1.html

https://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com/2019/01/sailor-moon-eternal-edition-volume-2.html
Chiisuteru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Kodansha Comics' new global English language digital debut of Sailor Moon.

ComiXology release appears washed out, with not enough contrast on the image to get a true black. The reds appear pink, and overall harder to read.

iBooks release has awkward white bars on the right hand side of the page, and sometimes shows a small portion of the next page on the left. But at least you can read it.

Wanted to share this information with other Sailor Moon fans.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1