• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Lite Announced for Release on September 20

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
...So Nintendo made a Vita?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

A Vita that does not use proprietary memory cards and actually has the company's support behind it.

Given the large portion of Japan that use the Switch as a handheld this is not surprising. Unfortunately my American adult hands are too big to comfortably use the Switch in handheld mode, and I don't think a smaller version will help that issue. The asymmetrical sticks also cause issues for me. I use mine 100% in docked mode.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

A Vita that does not use proprietary memory cards and actually has the company's support behind it.

Still a vita
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Still a vita

Considering that was basically dead on arrival, not really.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:

Doesn't matter...still a Vita. Not saying that's good or bad, just saying what it is.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
#810704 wrote:

Doesn't matter...still a Vita. Not saying that's good or bad, just saying what it is.

Well, it's not like Nintendo has a long story of doing handhelds, right?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, with the new Pokemon coming out this was inevitable. It's definitely an iteration for kids
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
...seems ok? The only switch id buy is an upgraded version of the one i have now.
I dont get the appeal, when im in my home i enjoy games...when im outside i enjoy nature. So unless this is an improvement over the current switch i dont understand what they are trying too do.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of a slimmer unit that has the controller built in. I don't like that they removed the ability to display on a tv. I don't even really care if it upscales when displaying on a tv like the original or if they include a dock with the system, but no tv support kills it for me.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
...seems ok? The only switch id buy is an upgraded version of the one i have now.
I dont get the appeal, when im in my home i enjoy games...when im outside i enjoy nature. So unless this is an improvement over the current switch i dont understand what they are trying too do.
I and my daughter feel the same as she uses her Switch exclusively docked at home to our big-screen and uses the Joycon controls because the controls are easier to use that way. I think some other posters have it, they are targeting the mobile crowd (assuming they want a smaller screen somehow) and more than likely kids being a bit lower cost too.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Guess this is cool for people that prefer handheld play only and don't care about hooking it up to the TV. But I don't think I'll be downgrading my Switch to this model. While I don't always hook up to the TV, I like having that option. Although, I'm a bit envious of the colors and the new Sword/Shield design the Lite is getting versus the original Switch. But I suppose it's not that big of a deal, because I doubt I'd be wanting to trade in/sell my Switch for a new version.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
Okay, excuse me while I be 'that person' for a moment... those color choices are awful. I've been waiting for them to make this since the Switch first came out, so I really want one, but I'm just like... egh... those... colors... I guess there'll be special edition ones eventually that might have a color I like.

$200 is a good price point, that's about what I was hoping for. Also super smart that they're getting this out before the new Pokemon game comes out.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
Same guts, smaller package. Feels like the 2DS, and that did wonders for their bottom line.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
Well, this just kills multiplayer. Instead of only paying for a second set of joycons or controller, now you'll have to have an entirely second system. And no IR means no Amiibo support, either.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

You mean iphone 5C
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2