• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Honey, I Shrunk the Switch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
New Switch Lite: It looks really impressive, i am hoping that it would be compabitable with original Switch. On the other hand, let's wait and shall we see.

New Pokemon Stuff: It sure is good looking Pokemon, and Dynamax is regarded as a spiritual successor to Mega Evolution due to fact that they can transform their appearance when activating it. The new new Gym Leader for the exclusive position sure nice. Bea looks like a mysterious girl with modest abilities while Allister is a strange, mask-looking, ninja looking gym leader. I am still sadded that not all the previous Pokemon won't be in the game. Sad

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth coming to PC: This is how of this kind of new game coming to PC would be the answer for Serbian that loves PC a lot more. A lot of Serbians are having a hard time to purchase its console too much, because the console is really expensive a lot.

Other Games: This kind of games are really good, i know Bandai Namco games are more suitable to my country, Serbia, there. A lot of Serbians are not aware that Nintendo games are popular around the world and that Serbians really love Bandai Namco games there.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The 2nd SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays PV was released today and it looks great, I'm going to get the Premium G Sound version instead of Pokemon Sword, there's far too much uncertainty concerning Pokemon Sword and Shield and Gamefreak not listening to the fans isn't helping.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The 2nd SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays PV was released today and it looks great, I'm going to get the Premium G Sound version instead of Pokemon Sword, there's far too much uncertainty concerning Pokemon Sword and Shield and Gamefreak not listening to the fans isn't helping.

We can still have a mod for it.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
to dock and connect it to a TV for big-screen gaming

Is that really true? The dock was always more of a marketing gimmick than anything (the fan help keep the console cool), it's certainly not required to connect to a TV, both the PSP and the PS vita could directly connect to a TV without it. So I don't see why the lite wouldn't be able to just connect normally.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quote:
to dock and connect it to a TV for big-screen gaming

Is that really true? The dock was always more of a marketing gimmick than anything (the fan help keep the console cool), it's certainly not required to connect to a TV, both the PSP and the PS vita could directly connect to a TV without it. So I don't see why the lite wouldn't be able to just connect normally.

BECAUSE NINTENDO GONNNA NINTENDO! they still cant even properly figure out online yet!
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
So they said no HD Rumble... but does that mean there's no rumble at all?

Because don't some games like Mario Odyssey require rumble to detect hidden moons?

The inability to do TV out is one thing, but missing significant features like rumble and the wireless controls, kind of splits the base on what games can and can't be played.

Sure, we could buy additional joycons, but that just tells me to pick up the regular Switch.

And does this mean future Nintendo titles will be held back because they now need to design games around the Lite? Therefore, Nintendo will make even less use of HD Rumble and motion controls???

Nintendo always creates this dilemma... Sigh...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

And does this mean future Nintendo titles will be held back because they now need to design games around the Lite? Therefore, Nintendo will make even less use of HD Rumble and motion controls???

Yeah I don't see too many people shedding tears over them potentially moving away from motion controls considering that was one of the biggest issues with the Wii & Wii U made worse by the fact that it wasn't an option for many games.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Scarier problem is that the lite is weaker graphic wise, that could push dev toward making game less demanding.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Scarier problem is that the lite is weaker graphic wise, that could push dev toward making game less demanding.

If so then thank BUDDHA, because I am getting sick of devs pushing this "12 squillion p resolution. 1260 FPS!" nonsense just because they're incompetent at optimizing or still can't get it through their thick skulls that the majority of consumers don't really care about their beloved technological arms race. Anyway:

-Switch Lite: Yeah, with the new Pokemon coming out it's the ripe time for releasing this. As for the Switch Pro, I'm pretty that was always a pipe dream from tech addicts.

-Pokemon: Yeah, Dynamax continues to be a spectacle and the addition of gym leaders depending on version is neat.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I didn't read the full article, does it state there that it's been confirmed that the lite will be weaker graphics wise? It kind of makes no sense, since as my boyfriend likes to point out to me the Switch is essentially a glorified tablet (when compared to other consoles being more like actual computers these days).
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The dock was always more of a marketing gimmick than anything (the fan help keep the console cool), it's certainly not required to connect to a TV, both the PSP and the PS vita could directly connect to a TV without it. So I don't see why the lite wouldn't be able to just connect normally.

The dock is just a fancy USB-C hub that provides a convenient place to set your Switch. The Switch Lite won't be able to connect to a TV because they're disabling the hardware that provides video output over USB-C. It probably costs them pennies to do it; I'm sure it's just to provide an incentive for people to still buy the regular Switch.

The Vita could not connect to a TV, by the way. Developer kits had an HDMI output, but they removed that from the consumer model.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
meiam wrote:
The dock was always more of a marketing gimmick than anything (the fan help keep the console cool), it's certainly not required to connect to a TV, both the PSP and the PS vita could directly connect to a TV without it. So I don't see why the lite wouldn't be able to just connect normally.

The Vita could not connect to a TV, by the way. Developer kits had an HDMI output, but they removed that from the consumer model.

You're right, I was thinking of the playstation TV. I did hear that it was pretty trivial to add a HDMI to a vita though.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:01 am Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
meiam wrote:

I didn't read the full article, does it state there that it's been confirmed that the lite will be weaker graphics wise? It kind of makes no sense, since as my boyfriend likes to point out to me the Switch is essentially a glorified tablet (when compared to other consoles being more like actual computers these days).

From what I've heard, it's the exact same as the regular Switch power-wise. Plus considering they can stuff The Witcher III on there it's clear power is kind of a moot point
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
TsubomiKoneko wrote:

From what I've heard, it's the exact same as the regular Switch power-wise. Plus considering they can stuff The Witcher III on there it's clear power is kind of a moot point

Hardware wise it is, but the switch would always go weaker when in portable mode (to save battery life), so the switch lite is stuck in the underpowered mode.

As fro TW3, it's severely downgraded graphic wise, so the switch can play it the same way a 10 year old laptop can
https://www.newsweek.com/witcher-3-switch-graphics-resolution-wild-hunt-nintendo-1443664
Zerreth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
meiam wrote:

If so then thank BUDDHA, because I am getting sick of devs pushing this "12 squillion p resolution. 1260 FPS!" nonsense just because they're incompetent at optimizing or still can't get it through their thick skulls that the majority of consumers don't really care about their beloved technological arms race. Anyway:

-Switch Lite: Yeah, with the new Pokemon coming out it's the ripe time for releasing this. As for the Switch Pro, I'm pretty that was always a pipe dream from tech addicts.

Huh???? If anything higher fps is indicative of better optimization coding. Whether or not you're a techie has nothing to do with it. Stuttering and frame lag on machines that are standardized are indicative of poor developer skill/QA.

https://www.testufo.com/ is a really quick and easy way to understand why at the very least aiming for a specific framerate and maintaining it is good for everyone. You don't need some microscope or be obsessed with technology to have frame skips impact your experience.

Setting a new lowest common denominator (weaker standardized hardware) for devs might get some to think outside the box and produce roundabout ways to code better performance with shortcuts but it also means those with better hardware (in this case, current users) are now expected to deal with with future software needing looking worse to account. Granted this is only speculation based on how the normal switch runs while not docked, but I'm personally hoping that that's all it is and not an actual part swap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2