• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mill Creek Entertainment Licenses Most of Ultraman Franchise

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:35 am Reply with quote
Cool.

I assume the smaller logo appearing above the title is supposed to be a generic metaseries-binding note on future installments, but right now it's a little weird the cover seems to say "ULTRAMAN ULTRAMAN".
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
This release includes the original Ultra Q series?

Hell yeah!!! Now I'm stoked! Very Happy
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Will digital distribution also include streaming rights? Now we just need someone to get Kamen Rider.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Will digital distribution also include streaming rights? Now we just need someone to get Kamen Rider.

Mill Creek has their own streaming service (it's a little weird, not subscription based) called Moviespree.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
For people that want to know --
Ultra Q really has NOTHING to do with the Ultra Man series.
The only thing they have in common is the "Ultra" in the title.
The second series onward is the Ultra Man franchise.

I hope this means all the legal entanglements were resolved and that the Japanese studio is cooperating and providing quality HD transfers. The Ultra Man copyright has been one of the most drama-filled, behind the scenes skullduggery in Japanese pop culture licensing with so many he said, she said's with fans outside of Japan being denied access to many of the Ultra series in the meantime.
I will probably get Ultra Man on Blu ray (steelbook) but skip Ultra Q.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I hope this means all the legal entanglements were resolved and that the Japanese studio is cooperating and providing quality HD transfers. The Ultra Man copyright has been one of the most drama-filled, behind the scenes skullduggery in Japanese pop culture licensing with so many he said, she said's with fans outside of Japan being denied access to many of the Ultra series in the meantime.

It was settled last year.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2018/04/26/tsuburaya-productions-releases-statement-over-ultraman-rights-win/
omegafinal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Cool.

I assume the smaller logo appearing above the title is supposed to be a generic metaseries-binding note on future installments, but right now it's a little weird the cover seems to say "ULTRAMAN ULTRAMAN".

While I can see it as a direct "art translation", since they've started using that more legible logo since...R/B(?), it's weird they retroactively added it to the older titles, going by Tusburaya's English website, up to Ultraman 80. (Though looks like no English title art for Taiga yet.)
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
For people that want to know --
Ultra Q really has NOTHING to do with the Ultra Man series.
The only thing they have in common is the "Ultra" in the title.
The second series onward is the Ultra Man franchise.

Some of the monsters in Ultra Q were also renewed for the Ultraman series itself.
Quote:

If you're talking about Tsuburaya vs Chaiyo, it was well known in fan circles but did little to stop home video sales. At the end of the day, fans were willing to put aside legal drama to see Ultraman blast monsters.

Heck, this same protest carried over to the ToonZone forums back in the day but did nothing to deter the base there from dabbling in Ultraman on DVD.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:

Mill Creek has their own streaming service (it's a little weird, not subscription based) called Moviespree.
Do you have to buy shows individually to watch them or is there any ad supported streaming option?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:43 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

It was settled last year.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2018/04/26/tsuburaya-productions-releases-statement-over-ultraman-rights-win/

Good to hear!

The consumers win in the end when these legal hassles get settled.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
This is TREMENDOUS news for Western (or, at least, USA) tokusatsu fans, and I hope Mill Creek and Tsuburaya get the support to see this through all the way. There are numerous series in the franchise I have yet to see, and others I HAVE seen which I would be delighted to own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1