• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fire Force

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry James, you are in for a new Darling in the Franxx situation

spoiler[can't wait for this thread to turn into a flurry of insults against the reviewer once he finds out that Fire Fore is Madonna-W*hore Complex: The Series, unless David Pro was willing to do MASSIVE changes to its female character writting]

A real shame because otherwise the plot is fairly competent, except from some odd pacing choices and some uneeded expo dumps involving some fairly standard powers
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
cheshire1501 wrote:
Sorry James, you are in for a new Darling in the Franxx situation

spoiler[can't wait for this thread to turn into a flurry of insults against the reviewer once he finds out that Fire Fore is Madonna-W*hore Complex: The Series, unless David Pro was willing to do MASSIVE changes to its female character writting]

A real shame because otherwise the plot is fairly competent, except from some odd pacing choices and some uneeded expo dumps involving some fairly standard powers

A What?

Anyways *Rolls Eyes* I love Joker. I'm halfway through the manga now so I mean maybe he'll do something to make me hate him at some point, but for now I love him. I do tend to be drawn towards the sketchy characters in media though so...

The anime looks beautiful though. I want to cringe when people try to simplify it as just fire fighters.[/spoiler]
Badcrazy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I feel like cheshire1501 is exaggerating just a little but I also hope they're willing to make some changes or at least tone down some aspects of characters. Hell, if you compare first episode to the manga it already looks like it so heres hoping.

Otherwise the show should stay well worth watching just on spectacle alone if it keeps up with this quality of animation.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
in this world that worships the sun as its god, the Holy Sol Temple

Wha? If this has been explained in the anime, I missed it. Are you sure you're not letting manga spoilers into the reviews?
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
James Beckett wrote:

Wha? If this has been explained in the anime, I missed it. Are you sure you're not letting manga spoilers into the reviews?

Sol is the latin prounciation for the sun. So it's easy to assume that their god of choice is either the sun itself or a sun associated god like Apollo.

The ending theme for Fire Force is brilliant both in a visual sense and song utilization. I'm really digging soul eater meets fire fighters atm.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
James Beckett wrote:

spoiler[Didn't they mention Amaratsu (I'll fix spelling when not on phone) in the first episode or am I just thinking of Chapter 0 of the manga? It's not a stretch to make conclusions.
]
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
James Beckett wrote:

spoiler[Didn't they mention Amaratsu (I'll fix spelling when not on phone) in the first episode or am I just thinking of Chapter 0 of the manga? It's not a stretch to make conclusions.
]

They did. But there's a pretty big gap between "making assumptions" and "making statements of fact" as James did.

Not to mention that that both deities mentioned in replies to me are part of larger pantheons - it's a HUGE jump to assume that worshiping one (of many) equates to "worshiping the sun".
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Infernal is just sitting there at the breakfast table, grinning his awful grin as his body burns to ash. When Arthur snuffs the Infernal out, its with a single stroke of Excalibur, and the moment isn't played up as cool or badass. It's just sad.

Iunno man that quick cut of the blade starting up was really cool. Sad moment, yeah, but still really cool.

I agree that the second episode was better than the first. The first had like a timing issue to me (not many people I've talked to seemed to have an issue with it) - conversations seemingly randomly stopped short, reaction shots lingered, the whole action scenario hinged on the Infernal being distracted but everyone stands around for one minute just talking instead. The art was phenomenal but I felt like the storyboarding (or the direction? I'm dumb, I don't know the correct terms) was just off. Second episode didn't have that, or at least I didn't notice it at all.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Definitely on board for this one so far. I love buff badass Maki, and while I've seen some people laughing at her hat, I think it looks really cool too. She definitely looks like she could kick my butt with both hands tied behind her back, and that's hot. Very Happy

I've also heard some rumblings of some questionable character gimmick choices coming later, as alluded to by some others already, but honestly I'm willing to put up with a fair amount of anime nonsense as long as it doesn't get overwhelming or cross a few personal red lines, so I'm hoping it won't poison the show for me. Definitely the most fun and visually pleasing anime for me so far this season!
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I am excited to see how the world of Fire Force grows.

It was very nice to see a protagonist mention that killing or defeating opponents in this manner is not something to be cheerful about. I hope that theme stays relevant throughout the series and that the protagonists establish more sympathy for Infernals rather than enjoying wrecking them.

Another thing I like is the depiction of a muscular woman. Maki seems very confident and strong and hopefully that keeps up throughout the series. I am worried that the first 2 episodes hinted at Maki having a weakness for men. I hope that doesn't continue. That would be unfortunate for another strong female character to be weakened by the essence of a lead male character.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Fire Force is beautifully animated and firefighters battling fire djinns is a unique premise for a story. The second episode makes it clear that the situation with the Infernals is morally complex which was one of the interesting aspects of Soul Eater. The vastly different personalities of the team provides some character drama and it is a nice surprise that the nun is the level headed character. So far it looks like a Shonen Jump anime with both action and heart which is always a good combination.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:43 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Not to mention that that both deities mentioned in replies to me are part of larger pantheons - it's a HUGE jump to assume that worshiping one (of many) equates to "worshiping the sun".

When they say "the great god Sol" that's sun worship, since Sol is the name of the sun. Worshiping Sol doesn't necessarily mean they don't worship any other gods, but since they work out of a Fire Cathedral with stained glass depictions of the sun and Infernals, and have a sisterhood of nuns, it's no leap to say they worship the sun.

I do wish people would quit dropping hints about the manga though (usually doesn't start with the first post). Saying "you'll be disappointed because {spoiler}" is really obnoxious. Why would I want to know going in that I'll be disappointed? But since I'm the only one this bothers, I'll just bow out of this thread now. Even though it's clearly too much to ask, I just think it would be nice for once to have a discussion thread about an anime be about the anime up to the episodes released and not beyond. At least there's always the rare anime original series that no one is ahead on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
I wonder if James is watching it dubbed or subbed. Same day dubs make it harder to know and I would love to hear more commentary on the dub from him as it airs.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
I wonder if James is watching it dubbed or subbed. Same day dubs make it harder to know and I would love to hear more commentary on the dub from him as it airs.

Unless I specifically mention the dub, it's generally safe to assume I'm watching streaming series subtitled.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Unless I specifically mention the dub, it's generally safe to assume I'm watching streaming series subtitled.

I would love to hear more quotes about your opinion on the dub throughout the season if that's possible (not just a 1 or 2 episode the dub sounds good/bad so far). Would that be at all possible since they are same day?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17