• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animation Studios, Fans Share Messages of Hope After Kyoto Animation Studio Arson

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
While it's nice to see so many messages of support from people in and outside the anime industry, I am kinda disappointed by the lack of a response from Netflix, considering they helped produce Violet Evergarden and have the Silent Voice movie streaming.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
While it's nice to see so many messages of support from people in and outside the anime industry, I am kinda disappointed by the lack of a response from Netflix, considering they helped produce Violet Evergarden and have the Silent Voice movie streaming.

They must be either too busy to make a response or something.
dcresistance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

Netflix only licensed Violet for streaming; they had no hand in funding or producing it
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

Their Japanese Twitter account did react to the news.
crh1985

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
They my have done it in private

For a lot of big companies in the US right know they don’t want to say or do anything on Twitter or Facebook of having a NPC hate mob come after them
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I've seen so many copy and paste responses like the one from Sunrise. It's basically the same as the one from Lantis and Bandai Namco. Shame when that happens... Also kinda off putting to see people who obviously never even knew KyoAni existed praise their works. They're not wrong when they say Kyoto Animation was the best, but it just looks like posturing when it's so obvious that so many of these celebrities and politicians have never seen their works before now. Offering condolences doesn't require posturing like that.

Chihara Minori has been in most of KyoAni works. She's been quiet since the event, I imagine because of how painful this must be for someone that worked with them so often. She and people like Aki Toyosaki and Ayana Taketatsu that basically had their careers truly start thanks to KyoAni... I can't even begin to imagine the pain they must be feeling. Same with animators and such on other studios that have worked with or gone to school with these people. I've seen a lot of mangaka on Twitter talk about how hard it is to even work now. There's so much pain all across the industry.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Chihara Minori has been in most of KyoAni works. She's been quiet since the event, I imagine because of how painful this must be for someone that worked with them so often. She and people like Aki Toyosaki and Ayana Taketatsu that basically had their careers truly start thanks to KyoAni... I can't even begin to imagine the pain they must be feeling. Same with animators and such on other studios that have worked with or gone to school with these people. I've seen a lot of mangaka on Twitter talk about how hard it is to even work now. There's so much pain all across the industry.

Ayana put out a tweet about it, and so did Satomi Sato, but a lot of the twitter feeds have been quiet. Yuri Yamaoka's tweet simply said "Don't lie...why..." which probably speaks for how a lot of them are feeling right now - shock and confusion and grief and horror all rolled into one. It hurts for us as fans and we only knew these people as names on a credit roll or maybe from a rare interview. For the people like them who knew the victims personally it's going to be a hundred times worse.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Some are also busy with the San Diego Comic Con going on right now.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
When tragedies do happen, it is hard not to say something that sounds like the standard "out thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and families affected by this tragedy". However, those thoughts/prayers carry more meaning when you act on it. For example, offering to help out at that site if possible. If you cannot, donating to a GoFundMe-type campaign also helps. I personally donated $5 plus an automatically added-in $1 to Sentai's GoFundMe campaign.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Chihara Minori has been in most of KyoAni works. She's been quiet since the event, I imagine because of how painful this must be for someone that worked with them so often.

https://lineblog.me/minori_parade/archives/1852785.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1