• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Side-By-Side Dreamers eBook

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Well, the premise intrigued me more than the yuri overtones so I hope this turns out to be a worthwhile read at least, rather than the exceptional one I’d hoped for.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that her next work released (Otherworld Picnic) will be more satisfying plot-wise, honestly, because I desperately wanted to love this.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I read the description and said ‘I have to read this’, so the let-down stings even more.
HannoX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Side by Side Dreamers and am reading Otherworld Picnic. There's not enough of the latter yet to form a definitive opinion, but so far it shows promise. While both do have a yuri subtext, it's a subdued one. I do agree Side by Side Dreamers ended rather abruptly and the yuri in Dayland never really surfaces. It's more obvious in Nightland.
Pianopenguin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:11 am Reply with quote
The best part of Side-by-Side Dreamers, I thought, which surprisingly the reviewer did not mention, was how astutely the author captures the feeling of dreaming in their writing. The leaps of logic, the abrupt shifts in settings and events, the use of information that has never been established but is all of a sudden taken for granted, the sensation of being in control of one's actions but not truly so, and eventually spoiler[when the narrations of reality become so distorted that the reader can't even be certain if the characters are awake or asleep]

- all of it so masterfully recreated the feeling of dreaming that, in spite of the thin characterizations and the inconsistent pacing, the dream prose still remains the major highlight which the book is worth reading for.
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:51 am Reply with quote
Not sure something so plot and character-lite would really grab me, but if something could still get me in it would if it had illustrations.
That cover is crazy gorgeous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1