• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Promised Neverland Manga Gets Live-Action Film in Winter 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Might wanna be careful of spoilers in the article, not everyone has seen the series already.
Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Aren't they supposed to be 11?
They look 34.

And this like the 100th anime/manga live-action adaptation out of 100 with terrible unnatural wigs.
Seriously, can't they just dye their hair?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
So, an adaptation where a 19-year-old plays a 16-year-old whose source material was 11/12-years-old. Really Percy Jackson'ing this adaptation up, aren't we. Ray's actor is the only one close to the proper age, but he looks like puberty hit him like a bus.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
So, an adaptation where a 19-year-old plays a 16-year-old whose source material was 11/12-years-old. Really Percy Jackson'ing this adaptation up, aren't we. Ray's actor is the only one close to the proper age, but he looks like puberty hit him like a bus.

So it's not just on U.S. TV shows and movies but adults as teens trope hit on Japanese TV shows and movies too. Sorry to say this but unpopular opinion, she's a bit too old to play Emma. But ironic they casts Ray as actual 13 y.o. That bothers me. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I find it weird that in the original TPN Emma, Ray and Norman were 12. spoiler[ Now in the manga, they are 14 year olds. ] But in the live-action Emma is "16", Ray is 13 and Norman is 17.(Probably they aged up Don and Gilda too) Ironiclly, little kids plays as actual kids. Anyway, I want season 2 instead of live-action movie.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:21 am Reply with quote
Now, this is when hollywood could make it better.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
Why are the demons not actual demons?! RIOT!
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:11 am Reply with quote
Oh, the comments explain why I thought Emma and Norman looked too old, but Ray didn't so much. I think that by itself pretty much ruins the premise. Sure, it's hard to find actual kids to fill those roles, but the story doesn't make as much sense if the kids are in their late teens.

I agree on the wigs too. I'd even be okay with just using their natural hair color instead of those.

It's really too bad because it could have been really good live action. Unlike other shounen, most of what takes place is perfectly ordinary looking, and so seeing a real life version wouldn't look out of place so much. Most other anime I dislike as live action because anime and manga are usually exaggerated due to the medium they were made with, and it looks silly if done the same way in real life.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
ballinamon wrote:
Now, this is when hollywood could make it better.

In 2021 or 2022, an article about Hollywood in negotiations/acquiring the license to make their own TPN movie will pop up on this site.
marconii2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
To the trash it goes where it belong. Live action = trash. That was, is and will be.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Not optimistic, but I figure it can't be a more disappointing adaption than the anime was. Hopefully it's made available here
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1