• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bushiroad Founder Apologizes for Uttering Vulgarities in Livestream

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
This man is a Savage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Not exactly a good thing for him to say, especially since his company just acquire the joshi pro wrestling company STARDOM.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
So... if I read this correctly, they got upset because he said the word "penis", rather than commenting on whether someone could get hard or not, and whether that's important for this franchise some way? The word, not the context or intent?
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
So... if I read this correctly, they got upset because he said the word "penis", rather than commenting on whether someone could get hard or not, and whether that's important for this franchise some way? The word, not the context or intent?

I think people are annoed by various different things:

-Some people are annoyed that he used that word in front of the women;
-Some people are annoyed that he said something rather crude in front of the women;
-Some people are annoyed at a possible continuity issue regarding a character having a little brother;
-And I would assume some people are annoyed at the whole talk of there being an issue with male characters showing up in idol-themed works.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

The phrasing of it is more vulgar than the individual word.

He could have just said that the character had a father and a little brother and said that they are family and not attracted in any way to the main character. Nothing more than that, and left it there.

Plus, given that there is a new awareness and a lower tolerance for things like workplace sexual harassment, it's telling that the boss of a company would use sexual language out in public at what is a work related event to promote a tv show.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

Well, remember Japan is more about politeness and respect. Americans might not find a CEO swearing and going off on a rant a big deal but it kind of looks bad in Japan. Especially crude remarks in front of a woman. Worse if they were idols. Chivalry ain't dead, it seems.

Basically the remark is suppose to refer to there not being any men around to date or flirt with the girls. "penis can't get hard yet" = no attraction or interest in girls yet, so the brother wouldn't be a romantic threat to anyone. Kinda a vulgar way to say it, but that was the intent Laughing Plus the inconsistent lore thing. Boy, I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
So... if I read this correctly, they got upset because he said the word "penis"

That doesn't sound like you read it correctly whatsoever. Kidani apologized for saying that word, but (some of the) people in the replies were like "what, no, that's not why people are upset with you".

Personally, I think telling the women to cover their ears is the offensive part. If you don't feel comfortable with your employees (or women in general, apparently) hearing you say something, you probably just shouldn't say it. It's infantilizing to suggest that women have to be protected from knowing what dicks are.

Though this franchise looks like money-making generic BS anyway so I'm not sure why people care about continuity.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

Though this franchise looks like money-making generic BS anyway so I'm not sure why people care about continuity.

You clearly haven't played it, so I doubt you'd care about my response but the story is actually far deeper than most other games/franchise out there. That's exactly why fans are mad. It's a rhythm game on the surface but it's heavily character-driven. The entire point of the game is the character development and relationships of the characters. If it was just about the music, the game wouldn't need to exist - people would just by the CDs and go to concerts.
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Northlander wrote:

Well, remember Japan is more about politeness and respect. Americans might not find a CEO swearing and going off on a rant a big deal but it kind of looks bad in Japan. Especially crude remarks in front of a woman. Worse if they were idols. Chivalry ain't dead, it seems.

Basically the remark is suppose to refer to there not being any men around to date or flirt with the girls. "penis can't get hard yet" = no attraction or interest in girls yet, so the brother wouldn't be a romantic threat to anyone. Kinda a vulgar way to say it, but that was the intent Laughing Plus the inconsistent lore thing. Boy, I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

No, bro. Nowadays it's much worse for an American CEO to say something like this than in Japan. Don't forget that the MeToo movement is from there.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

The word used was a crude term for penis, similar to 'p***y' for 'vagina.'
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
That doesn't sound like you read it correctly whatsoever.

I guess not. I was probably more than a bit tired when I read it and replied, since the time date is pretty close to when I returned from work. I do remember the slang word, but I didn't know it was considered that crude. It sounded more like the level where people go "fiddlesticks" or "dagnabbit" when "swearing".

Languages are funny that way, I guess.
Wellington

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
https://imgur.com/a/Nabj0Hy
Things like this are what make Bandori and other Japanese multimedia franchise so cancerous. Caring more about the money than their fans. Now we have this arrogant greedy dbag feeling that he's the king of the world with Bandori and he just said this disgusting comment. He's the living proof of that.
Zandy Brown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Northlander wrote:

It is not a crude term for penis. The guy said pee-pee. It’s what kids call it.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Zandy Brown wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Northlander wrote:

It is not a crude term for penis. The guy said pee-pee. It’s what kids call it.

Correct, "pee-pee" is a perfect translation for the term he used. It's kiddy slang.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1