• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Team Rocket Returns for New Pocket Monster Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Jessie and James look the same in SM, but have different eyes. They look more bishounen and bishoujo though. NEAT! Very Happy
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I mean with Ash and Pikachu still around, it was no surprise that Team Rocket would be back too.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they're keeping the Sun & Moon art style but just refining it some instead of going for another radical art style shift or just reverting back to the old style. Pokemon wouldn't be the same without Team Rocket especially after how hard Takeshi Shudo fought to keep them in the show.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Because why wouldn't they? Razz
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm placing bets that Jessie will catch a Polteageist. Since she likes to paint herself as a refined princess it would only make sense for her to get some fancy china and to partake of her partner's black tea to complete her "noble" image.
As for James, I wager he will catch an Impidimp, namely because Impidimp itself just seems to suit Team Rocket's image as a lovable but villainous group of troublemakers.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
I mean with Ash and Pikachu still around, it was no surprise that Team Rocket would be back too.

TBH jessie and james are best part of the anime anymore.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
New Pokémon series premieres on November 17

Off topic, so new Pokémon series will air in November while nearly all this fall's animes aired in October. (Same with January,April and July)
CheerSong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:33 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Quote:
New Pokémon series premieres on November 17

Off topic, so new Pokémon series will air in November while nearly all this fall's animes aired in October. (Same with January,April and July)

Pokémon's anime reboots tend to align with the release of the new generation of games, hence November.

Also worth noting that Japanese Pokémon series also have various titles, just like the US and the rest of the world. (Gold/Silver, Advance Adventures, Diamond/Pearl, Best Wishes, XY, XY&Z, and Sun/Moon if memory serves... )

The return to the first series title, "Pocket Monsters" with nothing else attached, suggests a fresh start.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, the only thing I can say is that we must prepare for trouble. Smile
LokiReed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
okaaaay.... so ash and pikachu are back, jesse, james, and meowth are back....
how is this any different? it just seems like a new season of the old show.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:23 pm Reply with quote
LokiReed wrote:

That's because it is. People just frivolously toss the word "reboot" around these days even if it's not.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
LokiReed wrote:

That's because it is. People just frivolously toss the word "reboot" around these days even if it's not.

A while back, I mentioned the new anime's logo is blue (the usual anime logo is green, but the AU films' logos are blue). You responded saying that's not really definitive (which is fair) and I responded in turn with an actual comparison for reference. But... I was wrong. The logo isn't just blue. The logo is the exact same logo as the AU films. It's not a generic logo, for one. There are wing-appendages off some of the letters that tie in with the Ho-oh/Lugia themes of the films. And they're using that same logo for the new anime. IT's still not set in stone, but I'm pretty convinced now.

Also, I would personally use the word "AU" instead of "reboot" since it may just be a continuity in the film universe.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

A while back, I mentioned the new anime's logo is blue (the usual anime logo is green, but the AU films' logos are blue). You responded saying that's not really definitive (which is fair) and I responded in turn with an actual comparison for reference. But... I was wrong. The logo isn't just blue. The logo is the exact same logo as the AU films. It's not a generic logo, for one. There are wing-appendages off some of the letters that tie in with the Ho-oh/Lugia themes of the films. And they're using that same logo for the new anime. IT's still not set in stone, but I'm pretty convinced now.
Why are they still using the same art style as Sun & Moon if they're suddenly switching to the AU movie canon? Has there been any statements from the anime creators that they're switching to the AU canon? Or any footage of the upcoming anime season that would indicate they're switching to the AU canon?
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:12 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why are they still using the same art style as Sun & Moon if they're suddenly switching to the AU movie canon? Has there been any statements from the anime creators that they're switching to the AU canon? Or any footage of the upcoming anime season that would indicate they're switching to the AU canon?

1) They're not using the same design style. I see a lot of influence from the design of Sun & Moon, so I understand why people are reaching that conclusion. Iwane (one of the pioneers of Sun & Moon's animation style who has worked on the series for ages) said on his most recent live stream they didn't confront him on design this time around, suggesting someone else is in charge.

2) There has been no explicit statement about what they're doing with the story, so much of what we have to go off of is speculation. One the one hand, it's just one piece of evidence. On the other hand, it's a pretty dang convincing piece of evidence. I mean, you don't just copy-paste the logo used exclusively for the AU films and then claim the new series has nothing to do with them... right?

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1