• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fourth Plate

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:18 am Reply with quote
I have to say I agree with the "here's your ingredients" to "here's my dish" way the anime has been going with since the 3rd Plate. 3 eps in and we're almost half way through the team Shokugeki already. Makes me wonder if the 4th Plate will only have 10 eps.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
While I still will keep up with the anime because I love the seiyuu, I don't like how they're continuing to do the quick pans in every scene. I know it's to make up for the lack of actual animation, but it would be nice if the camera just stopped for a second here and there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
The way this is set up just seems really weird to me. It's like having two teams of say 10 players (hell, I'm so unengaged with this supposedly highest stakes game I don't even know how many/who are on the teams), and then having only 6 of them play in the ten rounds. Why isn't it just a straight up "pick your line-up and everyone gets their one shot" and the team with the most winners wins? This "it's ok that you lost because you wore him out for when he has to play again" just blunts the drama of both winning and losing that match.

So how many are on each team? I think Central is missing one because of Isshiki's defection, maybe more? but the Rebels picked up a couple of ringers, so they have...8? Is the pudgy Aldini competing or just his bro? If not, why not? And if neither team has ten members, why are there ten matches?
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The way this is set up just seems really weird to me. It's like having two teams of say 10 players (hell, I'm so unengaged with this supposedly highest stakes game I don't even know how many/who are on the teams), and then having only 6 of them play in the ten rounds. Why isn't it just a straight up "pick your line-up and everyone gets their one shot" and the team with the most winners wins? This "it's ok that you lost because you wore him out for when he has to play again" just blunts the drama of both winning and losing that match.

So how many are on each team? I think Central is missing one because of Isshiki's defection, maybe more? but the Rebels picked up a couple of ringers, so they have...8? Is the pudgy Aldini competing or just his bro? If not, why not? And if neither team has ten members, why are there ten matches?

There are 8 on each team. It wasnt just Isshiki who defected. It would be easier to just re watch the second half of the 3rd plate cos I can see you need a refresher. The team Shokugeki's rules can be summed up as an elimination match. Basically the last team standing at the end of it all wins even if theres only 1 person left.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:01 am Reply with quote
Thanks. I don't deny I need a refresher, but the problem, as I alluded to before, is that I just don't care enough anymore to bother. This should be like the climax, or near to it, of the series, the culmination we've been waiting for all this time and yet it just feels meh to me. As even you admitted, the "ingredients, dish, foodgasm" rinse, repeat formula is really wearing thin. Toutsuki would never tolerate such a half-hearted recipe!
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Thanks. I don't deny I need a refresher, but the problem, as I alluded to before, is that I just don't care enough anymore to bother. This should be like the climax, or near to it, of the series, the culmination we've been waiting for all this time and yet it just feels meh to me. As even you admitted, the "ingredients, dish, foodgasm" rinse, repeat formula is really wearing thin. Toutsuki would never tolerate such a half-hearted recipe!

I was referring to the anime with the "ingredients, dish, foodgasm" which is why I made it a point to mention the 3rd Plate season. Like Rebecca said, this pace makes the plot move faster but it comes at the cost of the lack of cooking scenes and toned down foodgasms. Naturally, this arc was much better handled in the manga though it drag a bit. No surprise.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well this ep turned my words from last week on its head. Proper cooking scenes and good foodgasms and it includes a training montage, the return of Shinomiya and more development for Megumi and the ep focuses on her too. A pretty wholesome episode IMO. I hope future eps can be like that too
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
Certainly enjoyed the Ace o Nerae! reference. Some people may be familiar with Aim for the Ace mostly through its parody in Gunbuster, aka Top o Nerae!
Tropical Blitz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
While I do agree with the review's view of Takumi's victory over Eizan, I can't help but completely disagree on the take about the Momo/Megumi match, moreso because of the same episode showing how Takumi's victory helped add to the development he had underwent throughout the series to get to this stage and actually secure a significant win after such a long time.

Megumi had yet to actually win a single important battle on screen. Her wins area always either against opponents who are so minor people hardly even remember their names, or she losses and "everyone acknowledges she has the potential for greatness in her". And the conclusion of this particular match falls squarely in the latter category so much so that it makes me wonder when exactly will she ever capitalize on this supposed potential of hers.

Quote:
Even though Megumi lost her match against Momo, on some levels it still really counts as a victory.

It doesn't. There might be some value for her to learn from this defeat, but calling it anything other than a loss is just sugar coating it.

Quote:
She's now seeing herself as part of the group, and worth being part of the group, and even though she didn't beat Momo, she triumphed over her insecurities

I just hope the series doesn't somehow undermine this sentiment later on down the road, because it can just be so easy to have Soma end up going against Momo and then try and get a "win" for Megumi in her place.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While no one in Central is perhaps winning prizes for charm (although I suppose Tsukasa comes closest; poor guy really just seems to want to be left alone to cook)

The sushi chef Saito probably comes closest, I think.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Eizan, in true bad guy style, pretty much spends time explaining to the hero how he's defeated him instead of just taking him out. Classic villain mistake there, guy.

This could have played out so much better if they hadn't fallen back on that lazy-ass trope. If Eizan had kept his strategy to himself, smugly thinksplaining to the audience while the tasting was happening, it would've heightened the tension ("Oh noes! Don't the judges know they being gamed?"), only for Takumi to see Eizen's shock! that his plan failed, and then reveal out loud that he knew all along and had counted on it. I think I'd find something like that more interesting than the "reveal" that the judges knew and just didn't give a shit.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:33 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
While no one in Central is perhaps winning prizes for charm (although I suppose Tsukasa comes closest; poor guy really just seems to want to be left alone to cook)

Ah, yes, I forgot about him. (Probably because we haven't gotten his backstory in the anime yet; I'm guessing next week.) You're right, he is the better example.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:27 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:

Ah, yes, I forgot about him. (Probably because we haven't gotten his backstory in the anime yet; I'm guessing next week.) You're right, he is the better example.

His backstory should be out by now so I would like to hear what you think of him now

Also, I don't think Rindou is that bad of a person. She's competitive but she also seems fun and a fair sport compared to some of the others. Granted, i've also read the manga so i'm probably biased
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

His backstory should be out by now so I would like to hear what you think of him now

Also, I don't think Rindou is that bad of a person. She's competitive but she also seems fun and a fair sport compared to some of the others. Granted, i've also read the manga so i'm probably biased

I really like it, honestly, because spoiler[I think it paints him very sympathetically and has some direct parallels to Soma and Azami both.] I just sort of spaced on him last week for no good reason - I'm current with the English releases of the manga, but I try to ignore what I know when I write about the anime for non-readers. (Still not sure how well that works...)

I'm really torn on Rindou - sometimes I like her and think she's just a free spirit, and other times she comes across as sort of mean. Or maybe that's just me not loving that she cooks rare animals, which my brain insists on interpreting as "endangered."

spoiler[Not that she's much of an issue once this storyline ends...]
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
small bit of trivia

According to the manga, the brown sugar in question used in Erina Vs Momo was Muscovado sugar, a brown sugar that isn't as refined as most so it has a ton of molasses in it.

Sites I've read say it has toffee hints and a slightly bitter aftertaste. The point about the minerals is also true as due to the molasses it does have trace amounts of magnesium and iron

Regardless, I do admit that the whole Roll Cake Castle is a bit absurd seeing how long they can take to cool but i also admit i want to make that souflee dorayaki
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2