• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BEASTARS Anime Premieres on Netflix Outside of Japan in Early 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
I pretty much expected this as it’s been their streaming pattern for awhile but I’m glad we have confirmation.
JoshuaC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:01 am Reply with quote
Netflix basically kill their own shows with this release model. Hardly anyone is going to wait to watch it legally on Netflix if they can watch it now illegally. By the time the show comes out worldwide on Netflix the hype for the show would be over and most of the discussions surrounding would have been finished. Hopefully with the upcoming Disney+ Netflix will look to changing their binge style of viewing behaviour to better compete in the market.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:23 am Reply with quote
Yet still no Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-San season 2. People can't wait longer to watch legally.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
JoshuaC wrote:
Netflix basically kill their own shows with this release model. Hardly anyone is going to wait to watch it legally on Netflix if they can watch it now illegally. By the time the show comes out worldwide on Netflix the hype for the show would be over and most of the discussions surrounding would have been finished. Hopefully with the upcoming Disney+ Netflix will look to changing their binge style of viewing behaviour to better compete in the market.

You think so? Dubbing fans have a different story for you.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:34 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
JoshuaC wrote:

Well since Funi started doing simuldubbing and the like that really hasn't been a problem anymore.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
I get why people don’t like it, but there’s no evidence that Netflix’s policy actually causes shows to perform worse in any way that matters to the company.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
I get why people don’t like it, but there’s no evidence that Netflix’s policy actually causes shows to perform worse in any way that matters to the company.

What do you mean, if so many people have already watched it illegally ,how many of those will bother watching it again when it officially comes out?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
merr wrote:

What do you mean, if so many people have already watched it illegally ,how many of those will bother watching it again when it officially comes out?

For those who want to follow the law.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
merr wrote:

Is there evidence that significantly more people are watching these shows illegally? Even if there is, Netflix probably doesn’t care as long as those people continue paying for a subscription.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
merr wrote:

The Netflix model is betting on both loyalty (people willing to wait) and getting new eyes on their shows. They've been doing this for a while now so it must work and the Japanese rights holders aren't complaining. The people watching illegally likely aren't significant enough in number to hurt their expected views.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I wish Netflix would simulcast their shows myself but Netflix's model is designed to appeal to the broad mainstream casual audience and it's mostly only hardcore fans who are watching it through fansubs. Beastars is also a show with a lot of crossover appeal with the furry community who turned out in big numbers to support Netflix's Aggretsuko show. But Netflix doesn't release any of their streaming numbers so it's all basically guessing as to how well this model works for them. And as mentioned earlier in the thread, even if fans have already seen the fansubs, there are a lot of dub fans who will watch it again on Netflix for the dub. But as someone who rewatches a lot of my favorite shows, I don't understand this attitude some simulcast watchers have that they only watch a show once when it first airs and never watch it again once it's over.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Regions who are outside the selected 8 dubbed languages don't care and just pirate it anyway. Like pretty much everyone.

Emerje wrote:
They've been doing this for a while now so it must work and the Japanese rights holders aren't complaining. The people watching illegally likely aren't significant enough in number to hurt their expected views.

Japanese rights' holders got their money and don't care whether someone outside Japan sees this or not.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:

Japanese rights' holders got their money and don't care whether someone outside Japan sees this or not.
We do know though that the Japanese licensors do pay attention to streaming numbers of shows outside of Japan to determine how successful their properties are so it's not entirely accurate to say the Japanese licensors don't care if people are watching it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
2020??? WHAT???

Meanwhile NO actual date. Are we talking January, February or March? [/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1