• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Stars Align Director Kazuki Akane Promises Sequel In Some Form

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Netflix or someone else funds a second season.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I need to get caught up on the last few episodes but I've been super enjoying the show. Really hope it pans out since really even just in what I've watched it's been abundantly clear that 12 episodes is not enough to resolve everything the show's set up.
leongsh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
If he wants to crowdfund the second cour of episodes, I would gladly contribute.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
"Stars align"

When you do quotes, you should actually write what they said. He used the real title [Starry Sky]
BlueOla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:31 am Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
"Stars align"

When you do quotes, you should actually write what they said. He used the real title [Starry Sky]

I'm baffled by the pettiness of this response. Stars Align is the official English title, who cares that it's not a direct translation? It would be confusing if they suddenly used a random unofficial translation of the title when translating his tweets? Consistency is important so that people can go look for the anime on official channels like Hulu or Funimation?

Weebs impress me in the worst ways sometimes.
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
man i really hope the second season gets made, its a great story thusfar! maybe the numbers haven't done all that well in japan? or the director had a falling out with 8bit studio? anyone know?
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:33 am Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:
man i really hope the second season gets made, its a great story thusfar! maybe the numbers haven't done all that well in japan? or the director had a falling out with 8bit studio? anyone know?

I don't think it did well anywhere. The only time I ever saw this show mentioned was when it came to the drama with them plagiarizing dances from YouTubers and Nicovideoers.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Stars Align is an anime original and a sports drama and those are always a hard sell even if it’s well liked by reviewers and the sakuga community. Mix which aired earlier this year got even less attention than Stars Align even though it was also pretty good.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Stars Align is an anime original and a sports drama and those are always a hard sell even if it’s well liked by reviewers and the sakuga community. Mix which aired earlier this year got even less attention than Stars Align even though it was also pretty good.

In Japan, Mix is regularly in the Top 10 of weekly anime TV ratings that are posted in ANN. It's an anime adaptation that is geared towards the Japanese market.
simona.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
I did suggest him to crowdfund; let's hope he picks up on that.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:44 am Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
In Japan, Mix is regularly in the Top 10 of weekly anime TV ratings that are posted in ANN. It's an anime adaptation that is geared towards the Japanese market.

Well, 'was', since it ended in September, but yeah, Mix was very popular when it was airing. Not much buzz in America because America generally isn't into sports anime, but it was a pretty big deal in Japan.

My fiancee was actually into Stars Align initially. She dropped it pretty quickly though when she realized it wasn't going to be the Prince of Tennis style of show she thought it was. I'm not sure how well this did in Japan though, since this decision was made before it aired and not during. If they're anything like my fiancee it doesn't appeal to the BL sports fandom, and it might not have appealed to the generalized sports fandom either given the subject matter and the main sport kind of took a backseat to other things. I guess we'll see if it gets any support from Japanese audiences. Worst case scenario the director can always release it as a web novel, doujinshi, drama CD, or something else. A bunch of original anime that were canceled have done that. I don't think crowdfunding is viable since it costs so much to make an anime and the only successful anime crowdfunding has been short OVAs as a result.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:

It got cut back late in pre-production, which means before there was any audience response: no numbers.

The production committee still have confidence in the work and in Akane's direction, or they wouldn't be letting him tout for a sequel. But they couldn't make the work as originally planned, which means that late in pre-production Something Came Up: some sort of planned-for resources [money? broadcast time?] either couldn't be sourced or vanished.

Beyond that we're guessing, although the scope of what we're guessing suggests two possibilities: one is that someone on the production committee woke up one morning with a lot less money than they thought, and the other is that someone on the production committee developed doubts in the project after seeing pre-production materials, and withdrew, with the rest of the production committee still enthusiastic but lacking the resources the withdrawn member offered.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Man, I respect not trying to compact the story from a two cour series into a one cour series...

But that was too brutal of a cliffhanger.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they can do the rest of the series as theatrical OVAs like Princess Principal or Girls und Punzer?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Soon after Dennou Coil was released, its creator and director, Ito Mitsuo, described the long multi-year process it took to get that show green-lighted. He observed then (2007) that the industry was strongly averse to anime-original content, preferring the more reliable route of adapting existing manga and novels. Unsurprisingly things appear not to have changed much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1