• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Platinum Games Launches Kickstarter for The Wonderful 101: Remastered Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
And with that every must have Wii U game has now been ported. I do wonder what they will rework those game pad sections into, maybe split screen. Nintendo did not own the IP then.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
And with that every must have Wii U game has now been ported.

I would consider Super Mario 3D World a must-have, the game is vastly-underrated in how polished and varied it is in gameplay. Also, I never played Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I know it has its fans.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I would consider Super Mario 3D World a must-have, the game is vastly-underrated in how polished and varied it is in gameplay. Also, I never played Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I know it has its fans.

Pikmin 3 and Fatal Frame as well.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
And the HD versions of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but yeah, that's about it. I rushed to snap up a Wii U and some key games right near the end of its life cycle, but pretty much everything has been rendered obsolete at this point. Laughing
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of Platinum doing this but they are now freelancers or something. The asking price is at least low. The game is alright but nothing special. I only finished it and Astral Chain out of obligation as they are short-ish. A 6/10 to both.

Microsoft owns Scalebound IP for all that care, so who even knows what Platinum actually has that is 100% their own. Even Bayo got convoluted due to how her 2d and 3rd game got funded by Nintendo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

I would consider Super Mario 3D World a must-have, the game is vastly-underrated in how polished and varied it is in gameplay.

Game sold nearly 6 million copies that's not underrated.

Plus it didn't exactly break new ground being a sequel of a 3DS game that was much better.

residentgrigo wrote:
Not a fan of Platinum doing this

Don't know why,as them using Kickstarter to fund it is much better then them spending money out of their own pocket and then potentially getting burned twice.

The fact that the game may very well hit all it's goals (weird as some of them are) shows that making the original game exclusive to the WiiU wasn't a good idea.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Game sold nearly 6 million copies that's not underrated.

Plus it didn't exactly break new ground being a sequel of a 3DS game that was much better.

Underrated as far as Mario games go.

Yeah, it only had non-stop new gameplay options. Seriously, that's what happened, the developers just decided to let all their ideas be put in the game, and it makes the levels feel constantly fresh as new little gameplay tweaks are always showing up. Also, it's really doesn't feel like a sequel to Land to me, the environments are far more interesting (obvious since it's a console game over a handheld one, but still) and there's 4-player co-op.

Honestly 3D Land was pretty standard to me, just felt mostly like the New Mario Bros. game but in 3D, I wasn't impressed that much. I heard the post-game is where many say it picks up, but I wasn't feeling like playing through a game I'm only mildly enjoying just to "get to the good stuff".

While I would say Odyssey and Galaxy were better, I do think 3D World is far better than many give it credit especially those who didn't play it. That first trailer didn't help as the game just looked like New Mario Bros. but in 3D, but the 2nd trailer did a better job showing the wide variety of gameplay.

Also 3D World has Captain Toad levels which is a huge plus for me.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
My first reaction to this news was "Wow, Platinum really is the Trigger of video game studios."

The former Super Best Friends pushed 101 for years as unanimously one of their favorite games of all time. If only I could be confident that I'd be able to appreciate it. Razz
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Honestly 3D Land was pretty standard to me, just felt mostly like the New Mario Bros. game but in 3D, I wasn't impressed that much.

I wouldn't go that far as at least 3D Land can stand on it's own whereas New Super Mario Bros DS feels like a much worse game after you play New Super Mario Bros. Wii......And then Nintendo kept making new NSMB games just further diluting both games.

doctordoom85 wrote:

Also 3D World has Captain Toad levels which is a huge plus for me.

Isn't it cheapened somewhat by the fact they made Captan Toad Treasure Tracker afterwards?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Personally I’d also like to see Switch ports of Star Fox Zero and Paper Mario Color Splash.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1