• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunting for Hanako

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I really like the Hanako myth. It's one of my favourite Japanese ghost stories, though I'm not exactly sure why.
I think it started with randomly playing the Gakkou no Kowai Uwasa: Hanako-san ga Kita!! game on DS, which had the creepy cute vibe going.
I'm also a fan of the Hanako & the Terror of Allegory manga by Esuno Sakae, it's one of my favourite manga.
I enjoy the Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun manga too (haven't got around to the anime yet even though I was excited for it!)

(I also love the Hanako spirits in early Persona games...)

I'm always happy to see Hanako in stuff! Her having such a certain look makes it fun to spot her and understand, even if other people don't pick up on it.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Fun article! I haven't looked too far into the actual history of the mystery itself.

spoiler[As for Hanako himself, it is later revealed he was alive and a student at the academy in 1969, the same year the Apollo mission landed on the moon. Expect it to come up in a few episodes.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
So did Harry Potter's Moaning Myrtle derive from Hanako, or does England have its own toilet folklore?
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:05 am Reply with quote
Fascinating article! I’m also curious if Moaning Myrtle was inspired by Hanako now.
I watched the first two episodes of the new anime, and while I really like it’s art style, it’s very limited animation bugs me. I also think it’s a bit slow paced. I might give it more of a shot—that spoiler above is intriguing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1