• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! Film Reveals May Opening, TV Series Spinoff

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I hope this streams internationally.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
How on earth are they going to do this without blackface? There are multiple prominent support characters who are BLACK.

Idols for kanamori and Midori?!? Really?!?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the appeal of this without the unique art style of the anime.

Quote:
How on earth are they going to do this without blackface? There are multiple prominent support characters who are BLACK.
Black people exist in Japan.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Why do they always use adult for these adaptions? I would like to assume Japan has child actors.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't see the appeal of this without the unique art style of the anime.

Quote:
Black people exist in Japan.

I know that, but not as actors if the Durarara!!! Live action debacle is any indication. Can you provide any names to the contrary?
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Why do they always use adult for these adaptions? I would like to assume Japan has child actors.

And I was like "Sounds like from American TV show/movie?" when it comes to casting adults as teenagers, I guess Japan is borrowing the very strict child labor laws from the U.S. to prevent casting teens as actual teens. (Thanks America?) Should rename to "teen labor laws". Can't wait to see a 40-year-old or older casts as 13-year-old!

I feel like an actual teenage actors are doesn't exist in Japan. But ironically, some of the members from AKB48 and other idol groups are under 18 if I'm correct. Go figure.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Can they even replicate the anime's wackiness and charm? I'm intrigued to see that.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:54 pm Reply with quote
making a live-action adaption of an anime that's about the wonders of animation seems counterintuitive
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

I get the feeling part of the intention with this film is to push the careers of the 3 main cast, as they're all from the same idol group.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:33 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
v1cious wrote:

I get the feeling part of the intention with this film is to push the careers of the 3 main cast, as they're all from the same idol group.

Huh wow, this entire thing makes sense now.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I feel like an actual teenage actors are doesn't exist in Japan. But ironically, some of the members from AKB48 and other idol groups are under 18 if I'm correct. Go figure.

Nah, there's plenty of teenage and kid actors in Japan and shows that star them. Casting like this is usually for marketing reasons though. It will attract the idols' fans to the movie and give it a popularity bump and also help their film career.

dragon695 wrote:

Are they actually black, like as in of African descent, or are they just dark skinned Japanese that people often mistake for black? I've only seen the first episode so I don't really know the setting much. Either way, they'll probably either just cast light skinned Japanese and ignore it or use makeup to darken their skin to match it. That's usually how it goes, anyway.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:18 am Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
making a live-action adaption of an anime that's about the wonders of animation seems counterintuitive

Well, it's originally a manga. An anime adaptation may be a perfect fit for the title. But I suppose if the live action adaptation can insert some beautifully animated footage (for some visual creative decision) then it's still technically more animated than the original manga.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:57 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
It shouldn't be a problem, it was never drawn attention to, like for example bob from Tenjho Tenge is an African American, on the other hand nothing so far has been stated that these girls are black outside of them being coloured that way. It's no different from when they have blue eyes yet are not identified as caucasian.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:15 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Are theose really Black people or just dark skinned Japanese/asian or ganguro (not sure how popular ganguros nowadays)? Most of the time those "black people" in normal Japanese schools are just normal Japanese with too much sun exposures.

Last edited by Meongantuk on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I know that, but not as actors if the Durarara!!! Live action debacle is any indication. Can you provide any names to the contrary?
I'm not particularly well versed in Japanese live action actors but I find it a bit hard to believe if they couldn't find a single black actor for the part in all of Japan. And if they really can't find one, maybe the Japanese entertainment industry has a problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2