• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeJapan 2020 Event Canceled Due to COVID-19 Coronavirus Concerns

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I'm seeing this article when I click on another article from the home page, but there does not seem to be a direct link from the home page of ANN for this article.

EDIT - it just appeared now thanks.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Given the recent trend, what are the odds of Comiket getting cancelled? At this rate, it's gonna be a shitshow.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, this is crazy. It feels like all of Japan about to shut down at this rate out of health reasons.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:57 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Given the recent trend, what are the odds of Comiket getting cancelled? At this rate, it's gonna be a shitshow.

The Japanese government reports that canceling events through mid-March will limit the spread of the disease, and therefore allow events after mid-March to continue as planned. A lot will depend on what happens in Japan and overseas in the next few weeks.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:03 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

At this rate pretty high, even the IOC hasn't ruled out cancelling the Olympics.
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

At this rate pretty high, even the IOC hasn't ruled out cancelling the Olympics.

Olympics will most likely be cancelled. People from all over the world will be flying in to watch the games, and the risk of spreading the virus to new parts of the world, is going to be too high.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
I saw an announcement that the Olympics would not be cancelled. While I think it could be a good idea out of caution, there is too much money and planning committed to just "pull the plug". Plus, referencing the 1980 US Olympic Boycott, doing so would be massively unfair to the athletes, some of which might not have another chance at winning at the Olympics in their career. I can imagine some would brave getting coronavirus if they thought they could win something or make history and the shitstorm from the participating Olympic Committees who would not agree with such a move would be unbelievable.https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/02/26/japan-rejects-possible-tokyo-olympics-cancellation-amid-coronavirus-threat/#266ad094c9ee
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I saw an announcement that the Olympics would not be cancelled. While I think it could be a good idea out of caution, there is too much money and planning committed to just "pull the plug". Plus, referencing the 1980 US Olympic Boycott, doing so would be massively unfair to the athletes, some of which might not have another chance at winning at the Olympics in their career. I can imagine some would brave getting coronavirus if they thought they could win something or make history and the shitstorm from the participating Olympic Committees who would not agree with such a move would be unbelievable.https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/02/26/japan-rejects-possible-tokyo-olympics-cancellation-amid-coronavirus-threat/#266ad094c9ee

It's not up to Japan though, it's up to the IOC
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
Man... I was so excited. I visited Odaiba during my holiday last year but didn't actually get close to the Holy Land (Tokyo Big Sight). I had won the lottery and everything. Time to cancel everything.

But most importantly, I hope everyone everywhere stays safe.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:36 am Reply with quote
That's too bad. A few weeks ago I rescheduled a trip I was gonna make to Hokkaido early February because of personal reasons (but Corona made changing my flight for free possible in the first place), and Anime Japan would have been the grand finale of my new plan. This news is unfortunate but of course not entirely unexpected.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:46 am Reply with quote
Feels extreme and unnecessary. the regular flu is still worst in most places and they never cancel for it. They should just advise immunocompromised, elderly, pregnant people and their caretakers/household members stay home. Proceed as usual.

ban shaking hands. encourage hand washing.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
Was thinking about attending, but guess I'm not anymore Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:52 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Olympics will most likely be cancelled. People from all over the world will be flying in to watch the games, and the risk of spreading the virus to new parts of the world, is going to be too high.
Eh, by that point, the virus will probably be spread pretty much everywhere anyway, so what's the difference?
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:58 am Reply with quote
so is there actually a believable solution to this virus issue? You know, no edgy ass shit. Just rational opinions.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:00 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Feels extreme and unnecessary. the regular flu is still worst in most places and they never cancel for it. They should just advise immunocompromised, elderly, pregnant people and their caretakers/household members stay home. Proceed as usual.

It's probably not significantly worse than the normal flu--though some reported fatality rates are alarmingly high, this is probably because numerous cases are totally asymptomatic or not bad enough for the victim to ever realize it wasn't a normal cold, so those aren't being counted--but this is a brand-new disease with a lot of unknowns and uncertainties, not to mention rumors. Some amount of caution is understandable. And no one wants to be the event organizer who ended up accelerating an epidemic because they neglected to cancel it... or just the one whose event ends up losing money because not enough people showed up.

Cancelling the Olympics seems unlikely just because it's such a gargantuan thing, but they will surely end up cutting back on some things, and trying to block anyone who has anything remotely resembling symptoms from getting anywhere near the place. I do wonder what may end up happening to cons around here, though. At the very least, there's going to be a serious lack of Japanese guests.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3