• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Megumi Ogata Asks for Understanding About Anime Production During COVID-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I've looked over the comment sections of different posts about the delay since it was announced. People can be so entitled I swear...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Aren't the delays partly to ensure the quality DOESN'T drop?
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
I've looked over the comment sections of different posts about the delay since it was announced. People can be so entitled I swear...

Yeah, and I never thought some people would even resort to sinophobia or some kind of hate speech toward Asians while expressing their frustration.

Personally, if I can wait 4 years with no problems, then I sure can wait three more months knowing the production team will have much more time to refine the final product
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm understanding of canceling the episodes and pushing things back. Now if they're going to release a trash product ruining any chance of enjoying the product at my previous expectations and pretty much meaning a decent version will never exist, I'm going to be bitter about it and say screw you guys. That is what I do every time a company rushes a sub par product out the door instead of releasing a passable version later.

I'm not going to be pleased about a product just because there were legitimate problems during production because that doesn't make the product they are pushing any better. However, I'm perfectly willing to accept a legitimate problem during production as a reason to wait and buy it on a delayed release date.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, as far as I've seen, most of the reactions on social media to delays and recap episodes have been fairly forgiving. I'd go as far as to say there's a general understandig that you can't really complain about delays this season because every production has been impacted in some ways by the COVID-19 outbreak and the studios are struggling to right the ship. Like, yeah, some petulant idiots will complain, but they tend to be quickly shut down.

From what I saw, the reception of the ReZero annoucement has also been mostly about understanding and wishing that the final product is good quality, regardless of when it airs.

Now, production meltdown and QUALITY instances, well that's a whole other topic. If you're a fan of an IP or a franchise, you don't want to see it made a mockery of due to flagging production values. If people complain it's because they care. I do think for currently airing shows, some understanding is requrired, since they were caught in the middle of this maelstorm and there's only so much adjustments they can make on the fly, but going into Spring and Summer and assuming that nothing drastic will change with this outbreak, it's really up to the studios and production comitees to decide if they have the means to provide a product they can be proud of and postpone if not. If they decide to forge ahead despite lacking means and it ends in disaster, honestly they deserve the criticism for their poor planning.

Obviously none of that excuses personal attacks and other such behaviour tough.
JMulli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I'm understanding of canceling the episodes and pushing things back. Now if they're going to release a trash product ruining any chance of enjoying the product at my previous expectations and pretty much meaning a decent version will never exist, I'm going to be bitter about it and say screw you guys. That is what I do every time a company rushes a sub par product out the door instead of releasing a passable version later.

I'm not going to be pleased about a product just because there were legitimate problems during production because that doesn't make the product they are pushing any better. However, I'm perfectly willing to accept a legitimate problem during production as a reason to wait and buy it on a delayed release date.

The studio doesn't really have a choice in that though. The production committee (the group of shareholders that fund the anime) is who determines airdates and timeslots. The studio and animators are forced to work with the deadlines they're given. Blaming the animators or the studio here is completely wrong.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
JMulli wrote:

The studio doesn't really have a choice in that though. The production committee (the group of shareholders that fund the anime) is who determines airdates and timeslots. The studio and animators are forced to work with the deadlines they're given. Blaming the animators or the studio here is completely wrong.

A bit of a), a bit of b). While the production comitee does make executive decisions, it's not like they make such decisions in a bubble, and there's no one better positioned to tell them what the situation on the groundfloor is than the studio and specifically, the series director, itself. If a production crashes and burns, it's not always evident wether it failed because the comittee was pigheaded and uwilling to change the initial plan, or wether the series director was unwilling to see the signs of impeding doom before it was too late.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely angry about these damned delays and production issues... at the damned virus. Not like the people working on the series are happy about this either, I'm sure they'd love nothing more than to air on schedule with zero issues.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. People come first.
Acrylic6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Fans of these series still fares much better than fans of Kyoto Animation series that was delay until God knows when (if not cancelled).
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
It sucks but i am totally OK with them delaying it as long it dont Hurt the animation or scripts or even the whole production then I'm OK with Delays..
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:17 am Reply with quote
At least this time around, we know why these production delays, recaps, and "special broadcasts" are taking place. Reaching back in history, the Winter 2003 series Wolf's Rain was notorious for having four consecutive recaps in episodes 15-18. The existence of those recaps has often been attributed to the SARS outbreak; however, everything I've seen when searching for any connection between the WR recaps and the disease seems to be Received Internet Wisdom, rather than anything from official sources. I don't know if we'll ever see any official confirmation after all this time, and in the absence of one, there are various other rumors. Not to mention, other TV anime at the time didn't experience the same degree of disruption that Bones did with Wolf's Rain, or like what we're seeing now.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:40 am Reply with quote
If anything this serves to highlight the good productions that aren't stopping and also manage to keep up the quality.
timber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Multiple anime film openings were pushed back from their planned opening date

Is this due to production delays or more simply, if no one will go see them due to fear of the virus, then it's best to postpone the opening till more favorable days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1