• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Heck is Going on in 22/7?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I never thought that adaptation of this project could take IMAS as an role model, as the girls initially resembled a strange mix of AKB48 and Love Live, but as a result it turned out to be the right decision. Personally, I like to get thoughts about the idol industry and the personal development of girls, rather than just moe content.

Yes, this often gives less potential for entertainment and memes, but it also makes the anime a really serious show, rather than just advertising a multimedia project with cute girls. All IMAS anime and the first season of Bandori did it perfectly, so for me these shows were always more or less a good musical anime, and not just another idol/moe girls show.

As for "gay energy", although I am skeptical of jokes or talks about it the anime plot, a significant part of the girls' songs is quite open in their yuri theme. Of course, nothing direct for obvious reasons, but when a female lyrical hero sings about how her love looks good in the form of a girl's school, you know what I'm talking about. The franchise's producer has always loved some yuri fanservice back in AKB48, so this is not unusual.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, good, show, I see this more of an akimoto show than an idol show.

My favorite was mio ever since The project's design got released and I noticed she had the typical hair style of a dating game main character. kidna sad that they have her eyes show after the first episode.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you guys pretty much summed up the entire show with this. It's great when it wants to be, but other times it really falls flat on its face, and I agree that Reika's episode was very poorly written...which is why I'm writing a fan fic with an alternate ending! Very Happy
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't really give a crap about Sally Amaki? Even after sorta understanding what she's all about, my thoughts on her are still pretty "meh".
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't really give a crap about Sally Amaki? Even after sorta understanding what she's all about, my thoughts on her are still pretty "meh".

well, I also don't care about her, though I was a fan of the akb-verse before this anime existed, iirc my first akb-verse show was mendol https://wiki.d-addicts.com/Mendol and that one has first gen-ers.

So, this show was in my radar before sally amaki was confirmed to be there; and her inclusion had little relevance.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
It's great when it wants to be, but other times it really falls flat on its face

Yet another thing it has in common with AKB0048. Laughing (I had the opportunity to rewatch the second coeur of that show recently, and came away feeling like it swung back and forth between "heartwarming" and "problematic" almost as frequently as it swung between "badass" and "embarrassing".)
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:23 am Reply with quote
I think it was a major mistake when 22/7 switched from focusing on Miu and the mysterious Wall to giving each member her own signature episode. I don't care what their backgrounds are, it was the Wall and Miu, who is thoroughly unsuited to be an Idol, that made me sit up and take notice of this show. Things have gotten to the point where I wonder if we will ever get any explanation at all of the Wall.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
The end of episode 11 ends on a pretty big cliffhanger that focuses on the Wall.

Also, for anyone who hated how episode 6 turned out, I finished writing a fan fic for that featuring an alternate ending! https://archiveofourown.org/works/23260786
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1