• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream New Sakura Wars, Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2, The Millionaire Detec

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
And, as an inmediate aftermath, people in Latin America stared to bash Funimation and Aniplex on Twitter because they will no longer put more anime on Crunchyroll.

Screw Funimation and Aniplex.
OddJobsKatsura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:40 pm Reply with quote
This is the end of Crunchyroll and legal anime streaming as we know it. Pirate life for me.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
So much for Amazon getting all the noitaminA shows.

Surprised Funi got Sakura Wars. I thought for sure Sentai would get it since ADV had the original license.

Also surprised they are dubbing Kaguya-Sama. Time to speculate on cast.

Still hoping they get Tamayomi, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sentai gets it since they get all the Girl Baseball anime.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

That deal ended back in 2018. Since then NoitaminA's shows have gone to a few different places and don't seem at all subject to exclusivity deals.

Promised Neverland - Aniplex USA, streamed on CR, Funi, and Hidive
Sarazanmai - Crunchyroll/Funimation
Given - Crunchyroll
Psycho-Pass 3 - Amazon
Uchithama!? - Aniplex USA, streamed on Funi
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Seeing that Crunchyroll streamed Kaguya S1 in Latin America and Aniplex has the rights, Aniplex should probably still have LA rights for S2 too, so hopefully Crunchyroll can stream in the Americas outside the US and Canada. That would really be stupid if Aniplex holds LA rights but doesn't do anything with them.
loveliver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Surprised Funi got Sakura Wars. I thought for sure Sentai would get it since ADV had the original license.

Also surprised they are dubbing Kaguya-Sama. Time to speculate on cast.

Still hoping they get Tamayomi, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sentai gets it since they get all the Girl Baseball anime.

I thought Funimation rescued the movie from Geneon, and formerly held the license for some of the OVAs.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Kaguya is getting a dub. It's a crime against humanity that so many big hits like it and Bunny Girl-senpai remain sub only.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting Funi to stream the new season of Kaguya-sama, but not to announce dubs of both seasons. Could a dub for Bunny Girl Senpai or other unlikely series be next?

I also see Funimation hasn't announced dubs for some of the other shows they're streaming, which is probably a result of Covid-19. Although it would be hilarious to see Sakura Wars dubbed when the game isn't.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I was expecting Funi to stream the new season of Kaguya-sama, but not to announce dubs of both seasons. Could a dub for Bunny Girl Senpai or other unlikely series be next?

If they Dub Bunny Girl Senpai Aniplex would have to rerelease it as a separate set since they already released the series on home video sub only last year.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:
And, as an inmediate aftermath, people in Latin America stared to bash Funimation and Aniplex on Twitter because they will no longer put more anime on Crunchyroll.

Aniplex shows are still streaming on Crunchyroll but they stream several weeks after they premiere on Funimation. Almost every Aniplex show this season has been on both Funimation and Crunchyroll as far as I'm aware. Unless Aniplex has changed their deal with Funimation again, it will probably be the same again with Kaguya-sama.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

If they Dub Bunny Girl Senpai Aniplex would have to rerelease it as a separate set since they already released the series on home video sub only last year.

They've done that before. Released LE Sub only sets and followed up with a basic dub version later.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

They've done that before. Released LE Sub only sets and followed up with a basic dub version later.

Im not saying they can't, but going by Aniplex prices (since they have the home video license) people might not want to double dip if they already have the first set.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Unless Aniplex has changed their deal with Funimation again,

they have. both Kaguya S2 and the detective show are only going to be on funi. No timed exclusive for SAO, so kinda hard to tell what to expect now
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:10 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

they have. both Kaguya S2 and the detective show are only going to be on funi. No timed exclusive for SAO, so kinda hard to tell what to expect now
Have they explicitly stated that it won't be on Crunchyroll later on? Their announcement as far as I know only says it's streaming "exclusively" on Funimation but that could just be marketing buzz and it's rather light on the specifics. This seems like a sudden shift when previously Aniplex has typically put all their shows on multiple streaming platforms including HiDive. Like they're already planning to stream SAO next season on virtually everywhere.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:

With the deep pockets CR's parent companies have, one would think that Crunchyroll could get at least 2-3 anime simulcasts each season that is worldwide minus China and Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2