• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cooking Mama Licenser Mulls Legal Action Against Cookstar Publisher

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote
Office Create has more integrity with Cooking Mama than Shueshia does when it comes to Bandai Namco pumping out shovelware with their brands attached.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
So many shady things going on with this game. For those who haven't been following this saga, the reason they got removed the Switch store is because they've been accused of using Switch owners to mine Bitcoin: https://www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/248610/20200406/nintendo-switch-deletes-cooking-mama-cookstar-crypto-mining-speculation-on-reddit.htm. The company claims it's not true, but these weird legal issues don't look good at all.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
What exactly is bitcoin anyway?
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
What exactly is bitcoin anyway?

It's best to sum it up as "electronic" currency and leave it at that. The specifics are a lot more complicated.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
So many shady things going on with this game. For those who haven't been following this saga, the reason they got removed the Switch store is because they've been accused of using Switch owners to mine Bitcoin: https://www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/248610/20200406/nintendo-switch-deletes-cooking-mama-cookstar-crypto-mining-speculation-on-reddit.htm. The company claims it's not true, but these weird legal issues don't look good at all.

It's not true. People have datamined the game and have found nothing to suggest it's got a miner in it. Pretty much every claim in that viral tweet was nonsense. A developer on the project said the publisher put out a press release with those buzzwords to get the attention of investors.

It's crazy so many people believed a game that causes every Switch to shutdown due to overheating would pass lot check. Switch is probably too weak to be suitable for bitcoin mining anyway.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the cyrptocurrency thing was proven false, people already datamined through the switch release, and nothing of the sort was there. Its just that this release of Cooking Mama didn't have proper QA and shipped how it is for now. (Unless a miracle happens if it ever gets updated to fix the issues though.)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Yeah, the cyrptocurrency thing was proven false, people already datamined through the switch release, and nothing of the sort was there. Its just that this release of Cooking Mama didn't have proper QA and shipped how it is for now. (Unless a miracle happens if it ever gets updated to fix the issues though.)

Yeah. The follow-up coverage makes more sense. Bickering between the rights holder not being satisfied with the quality, the developer basically telling them to buzz off, a relatively inexperienced team with not-very-good games under its belt. Throw in that the datamining showed that some of the music was actually Youtube rips from prior games (with the file names unchanged) and apparently a studio head who didn't want to bother the team with little details, like when the game was supposed to release.

The question I have is what the developer was hoping to accomplish by putting the game out for sale. It took almost no time for the rights holder to get it pulled, and they probably escalated the situation from a publisher/developer relationship that went sour behind the scenes to one where they more publicly wind up in a lawsuit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1