• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Anime Reveals New Clip, Confirms 2nd Season

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:19 am Reply with quote
Still looks way too "clean" and thus awful. I was such a huge GITS fanboy but I have no faith in this
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:37 am Reply with quote
the negative sentiments surrounding this project is insane if the original staff of SAC is fully committed to it. I thought Arise was the bastard of GITS, not in a million years SAC
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:00 am Reply with quote
Looks like an FMV from a PS3 game. Sad
Why can't Netflix hire studios to do actual traditional anime that will all love.
Look at the stuff Ufotable can do blending CG with anime and more recently the amazing scenes in FGO: Babylonia from CloverWorks.
Then there's this... Shocked
FreshIngredient

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 am Reply with quote
John Smith character clearly a nod to the Matrix's Agent Smith
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:52 am Reply with quote
I really don't get all the hate, along with Beastars I think this is one of the better examples of CGI in anime.It took a long a long while but I think anime have finally started to have competent CGI animation.(or it could have something to do with the budget)
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:56 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Why can't Netflix hire studios to do actual traditional anime that will all love.
Look at the stuff Ufotable can do blending CG with anime and more recently the amazing scenes in FGO: Babylonia from CloverWorks.

Production I.G. and Sola Digital Arts are in charge of the CG animation, not Netflix.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:30 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:

Production I.G. and Sola Digital Arts are in charge of the CG animation, not Netflix.

I know. But what I'm saying is that a lot of these Netflix commissioned shows/movies seem to be CG based.
I don't know if Netflix specifically ask for this or what not, but it's certainly a common theme.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:

While I do agree that this new GITS looks absolutely hideous and won't be touching this with a ten-foot pole (which is really sad, considering I'm a huge fan of all things GITS) I think it's a bit unfair to put all the blame in Netflix. They have also done some wonderful and beautifully handrawn series like Devilman and Hero Mask (not to mention Castlevania, which, despite not being technically anime has some gorgeous 2D animation).
Dan297na

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:37 am Reply with quote
Has it been confirmed if this is a sequel to the old SAC series, or is this a full reboot?
Psajdak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:45 am Reply with quote
Kuvshinov's art is just amazing.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:57 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they will make a new SAC later on for those people who wanted something more like the original. Word must at some point reach the staff about it's cold reception.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote
It's exactly like the first two seasons of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex were, except in CG. Granted, the CG isn't great, but I don't see the furor otherwise.

Dan297na wrote:
Has it been confirmed if this is a sequel to the old SAC series, or is this a full reboot?

It's a sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:08 am Reply with quote
Btw, any word if they're bringing the original dub cast back? I'm fine with it either way, but...that original cast really brings back memories.

{Edit}: I edited your post. Don't take shots at other users and try to rile them up because they have a different opinion. ~ Psycho 101
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:

I know. But what I'm saying is that a lot of these Netflix commissioned shows/movies seem to be CG based.
I don't know if Netflix specifically ask for this or what not, but it's certainly a common theme.

No, Netflix doesn't ask for that. It's the directors who make that decision.

I think the reason why plenty of these Netflix commissioned shows/movies are produced in CG is because:
1. Japanese animation studios have only recently opened up to full-CG productions after years of staying away from it.
2. To try something different. It's nice to have some variety instead of all productions being in 2D.
3. The master files delivery deadlines for Netflix seem to be much more flexible (since they take everything in binge-watchable chunks), which allows for the animation studios to do full-CG productions and still turn in something professional on time. The extremely tight deadlines for Japanese TV networks and the cheaper budgets for TV animation just doesn't mesh well with the nature of CG animation, which is much more expensive and time-consuming. That's why the vast majority of anime produced for a linear TV broadcast uses 2D animation.

Last edited by OjaruFan2 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not very familiar with Ghost in the Shell so I'm not sure if I can jump into this series, though the involvent of Ilya Kushinov got my attention. I'm also a bit dissapointed that in the neutral spanish dub Motoko's voice actress, Gaby Willer (who also voiced Kid Trunks in DBZ and Mei Ling in Cardcaptor Sakura) couldn't manage to reprise her role despite auditioning for it, Motoko's new voice actress is really talented but Gaby voiced her in all adaptations save for the live-action movie, and speaking of which, Batou's live-action voice actor, Idzi Dutkiewicz, does come back to voice the character in the neutral spanish dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3