• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I was hoping we'd eventually see funi selling standard editions while Aniplex kept doing LE's. Hope this works, because I'd like to own more Aniplex shows
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Really wish they'd do standard at the same time for an actually sane price.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
This is potentially a game changer. Having LE's and SE's along side would be great for all fans. I also want to see Funimation offer discs for never released Anipldex USA titles.

Kougeru wrote:

Now, don't get greedy.
jeckersly

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
4K?

Please tell me there will be 4K.

Some of those fights would look absolutely insane in 4K HDR.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
This is potentially a game changer. Having LE's and SE's along side would be great for all fans. I also want to see Funimation offer discs for never released Anipldex USA titles.

I mean honestly the aniplex extras are pretty wack, never worth what they deem charging for. That and I could never justify dropping $260 for one season of anime under any conditions.

I hope Funimation picks up old Aniplex titles too. It'd be nice to finally own Your Lie in April.
maxhate

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
[quote="angelmcazares"]This is potentially a game changer. Having LE's and SE's along side would be great for all fans. I also want to see Funimation offer discs for never released Anipldex USA titles.

Namely Mushi-shi.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The set looks nice (due in large part to the great artwork the series has), but it's over priced as is typical with AoA. If the whole series was under $200 it might be a justifiable price point w/ the OST (I love Yuki Kajiura's work)

Kougeru wrote:

Don't worry, it won't be a sane price regardless of when they release it
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

The sane price is what Funimation will be releasing three months after Aniplex. It will be Msrp $65 and $48 store price for each half of the season, most likely.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a reasonable compromise that will allow fans who just want the show and don't care about extras to be able to collect it at a decent price while still offering a premium option for hardcore collectors. I also hope Funimation can go back and re-release past Aniplex shows like this. I would love to finally own SAO and Madoka Magica.

Quote:

$64 is the standard price for most Funimation SE sets.
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:29 pm Reply with quote
jeckersly wrote:
4K?

I don't think it was made in 4k, unless they decide to to upscale it.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Can we finally get Valvrave Bluray SEs? The only time I seen them at $64 per season was on Black Friday. That is the only title that I love that AoA has honestly and I don't care how much of a trainwreck it was.

$230 for 24 subbed episodes is hilarious when all you get is postcards and a fancy box. I just wish they would go back and re-release old titles for $64 after a couple years cause not all of us has good paying jobs to drop that kind of money most of their stuff is half of one paycheck or a whole months worth of pay. xD

Just finished Demon Slayer this morning and I honestly do not understand the hype I mean like with Madoka Magica it was good, but it wasn't AoY material.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Don't mind this sort of arrangement if Funi and Aniplex make it a regular thing. Much as I like a number of Aniplex titles, the ridiculous cost of many of their offerings keep me from considering buying a good number of them as I could do without the extra stuff in the video releases they add to their titles to justify their high cost. If diehard collectors want their limited edition sets, they can have them. I just want to buy a series I want without extra stuff I would have little use for that inflates the cost of a series I want to buy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moontei

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Holy cow it’s actually happening. Hopefully Funi does all the SE’s while AoA does only LE’s for all future Aniplex shows (and maybe even go back and doing the same for some catalog ones too would be nice).

This was the best scenario one could imagine when Funi came under the Sony umberella. Never expected it to be a reality though. Woohoo!
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
jeckersly wrote:
4K?

You dont have a tv that applies hdr to non hdr content with a powerful upscaler?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:50 am Reply with quote
gamegodtre wrote:
jeckersly wrote:
4K?

You dont have a tv that applies hdr to non hdr content with a powerful upscaler?

It wouldn't make that much of a difference.
There's very little anime being done in 4K format other than theatrical features.
Most of the discs being sold are good old 1080p Blu ray format.
I don't think most of what I've seen recently would really benefit from 4K format, anyway.

Has anybody else seen the 8K TV sets they've been trying to push for the last few years?!? There's hardly much 4K material for 4K TV sets let alone anything for 8K!
If you still buy physical media, there's definitely a difference between streaming and even 1080p Blu ray...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2