• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds City Hunter Anime to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I thought it would go to Retro Crush however. EDIT:Spelling

Last edited by ZelosZoidberg on Thu May 07, 2020 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Discotek's relationship with Crunchyroll has been quite beneficial to me... currently I'm seeing 82 titles available here.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/publisher/discotek

At the moment I'm watching Dirty Pair (not via streaming) and City Hunter is up next, so perfect timing Smile
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Just checked Crunchyroll, and it appears only the first series is currently posted. Hopefully the other 3 television series and maybe some of the movies & OVAs will also be made available.

ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Awesome! I thought it would got to Retro Crush however.

So did I, but I'll take it.

BTW, isn't Retro Crush owned by Discotek?
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Just checked Crunchyroll, and it appears only the first series is currently posted. Hopefully the other 3 television series and maybe some of the movies & OVAs will also be made available.

ZelosZoidberg wrote:

I'm not sure if Discotek owns it but they do have a lot of their stuff like Samurai Pizza Cats and Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer. I have Crunchyroll too so this does not bother me too much but it's nice to have another free option for anime.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
nDroae, That is an Awesome Double Header Of Colatteral Damage Death and Destruction with the Lovely Angels And City Hunter!
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:

ZelosZoidberg wrote:

I'm not sure if Discotek owns it but they do have a lot of their stuff like Samurai Pizza Cats and Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer. I have Crunchyroll too so this does not bother me too much but it's nice to have another free option for anime.

Discotek does not own RetroCrush. They only sub-license their stuff to Digital Media Rights for them to put on RetroCrush.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
@snake-eyes Haha, yes indeed Smile

DeTroyes wrote:

I'm just guessing here, but I think they will be, in time - Discotek did license all of it, as announced a year ago, and so far they've completed the BDs of season 1 (set 1 came out February 2020, set 2 is scheduled for June) and the recent Shinjuku Private Eyes film (scheduled for May). I expect the other City Hunter titles to go on Crunchyroll as the BDs come out. Mainly I wonder whether Discotek have the streaming license for Shinjuku Private Eyes, since that's a new movie, or whether they'd want to put it on CR if they do have it, rather than a pay-per-view rental service.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:47 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
I'm just guessing here, but I think they will be, in time - Discotek did license all of it, as announced a year ago, and so far they've completed the BDs of season 1 (set 1 came out February 2020, set 2 is scheduled for June) and the recent Shinjuku Private Eyes film (scheduled for May). I expect the other City Hunter titles to go on Crunchyroll as the BDs come out.

It should be noted that there's a 1-year hold back period on when Discotek can release the BDs because of the reverse importation factor since these are coming out after Japan's releases which by the way, Japan is up to City Hunter 2 (released back in December with Discotek's releases set for 2021) with no dates for 3, 91 and the old movies & specials yet so we'll probably be waiting a while unless Crunchyroll gets everything sooner than we think which I imagine is possible for City Hunter 2 in HD but not sure about the rest.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:35 am Reply with quote
Alright!!!
Time to indoctrinate my younger siblings! Razz
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:57 am Reply with quote
Already watched the first series with fansubs last year, but I would appreciate if crunchyroll would add the remaining series aswell, so I could switch to official subs for those
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
S1 at Crunchyroll for City Hunter is the Discotek release (CR page for CH says so and I can tell from the subs as I bought the Discotek releases thus far). Bit surprised have Ep27-51 already since Discotek release isn't out until June.

So I wouldn't expect CR to get City Hunter 2 or much else until Discotek is able to release it...

Shinjuku Private Eyes Blu-ray although release date supposed to be May 26, mine shipped from Right Stuf toward end of April, and I got it. Sadly no time to watch it yet. So wonder if CR will be able to get it as well or not.

Hope CH being on CR gains it more fans! City Hunter is my all time favourite anime.
I still have some laserdiscs. Cool
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
ryonomiko, Shinjuku Private Eyes was another Excellent City Hunter tale. Hopefully there will be other new City Hunter Films in the future!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It should be noted that there's a 1-year hold back period on when Discotek can release the BDs because of the reverse importation factor since these are coming out after Japan's releases which by the way, Japan is up to City Hunter 2 (released back in December with Discotek's releases set for 2021) with no dates for 3, 91 and the old movies & specials yet so we'll probably be waiting a while unless Crunchyroll gets everything sooner than we think which I imagine is possible for City Hunter 2 in HD but not sure about the rest.

Of course. Gotta make sure that the Japanese fandom pay their premium share so the American fandom can have their discount share.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Of course. Gotta make sure that the Japanese fandom pay their premium share so the American fandom can have their discount share.

That's NOT how it works.
Unlike Hollywood, Japan wants to pay all production costs AND make some money in the home market first. That means at least breaking even in the home market (which may include parts of other Asian countries) FIRST.
That's why the Japanese production companies aren't insane enough to fund $250million movies. They don't risk their companies like sick gamblers like the Hollywood studios do. They don't make as much money as the Western high-rollers do but they also aren't in such sick amounts of debt, either. There are Western media conglomerates that are in debt right to the tunes of billions of dollars. How they're going to pay this back anytime soon is anyone's guess. It will take many years to pay down these debts; it's not something that will be paid back in 3-5 years. They're going to be mortgaged to banks for decades!
Disney is, in fact, in VERY bad financial shape right now for gambling the company on expensive acquisitions like the buyout of 20th Century Fox Studios (and its film library) and for continuing to fund films that routinely cost more than $250million to produce!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
That's NOT how it works.
Unlike Hollywood, Japan wants to pay all production costs AND make some money in the home market first. That means at least breaking even in the home market (which may include parts of other Asian countries) FIRST.
That's why the Japanese production companies aren't insane enough to fund $250million movies. They don't risk their companies like sick gamblers like the Hollywood studios do. They don't make as much money as the Western high-rollers do but they also aren't in such sick amounts of debt, either. There are Western media conglomerates that are in debt right to the tunes of billions of dollars. How they're going to pay this back anytime soon is anyone's guess. It will take many years to pay down these debts; it's not something that will be paid back in 3-5 years. They're going to be mortgaged to banks for decades!
Disney is, in fact, in VERY bad financial shape right now for gambling the company on expensive acquisitions like the buyout of 20th Century Fox Studios (and its film library) and for continuing to fund films that routinely cost more than $250million to produce!

You think anime fans care about this? The only thing that matters to them is whether the show is affordable enough to put on their shelves. So what if the Japanese industry doesn't have Hollywood movie budgets? If the show isn't priced fairly enough, the fans go right back to their fansubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1