• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Fire Suspect Arrested After 10 Months

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Good! Now maybe he can have holy justice rained down on him!
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one whose blood boils at the very idea that this guy's STILL able to get medical attention after the murders/damage he committed?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
Am I the only one whose blood boils at the very idea that this guy's STILL able to get medical attention after the murders/damage he committed?
This is fine to think like that because of what he commited, but this is still the matter of law. He did the crime and supposed to get his punishment by the book, and the medics who are treated him are no way being the judges or executioners. They just done their job, no matter how wrong the person was.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:

No doubt, but Kenzo Tenma would do the same thing.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes, there is a process to these things. Law and morality. He'll face justice soon, but of course nothing we do can ever really be enough. RIP to all those amazing people
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
#810704 wrote:
This is fine to think like that because of what he commited, but this is still the matter of law. He did the crime and supposed to get his punishment by the book, and the medics who are treated him are no way being the judges or executioners. They just done their job, no matter how wrong the person was.

Oh no, I think you're misunderstanding my position here. Not blaming the medical officials or anyone for doing their jobs. In fact i think they're probably the last people advocating that resources should be spent on the monster. It's just infuriating thinking about how this all played out a couple of months ago and how we got daily remainders of people who passed/succumbed to their injuries, whilst the perpetrator spent 7 months recovering with resources that could be better spent else where. Especially if he ends up getting the death penalty anyway. It's just one of those examples of how tragic life can be for me I guess. Not really debating the legality of it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Maybe he should live a long agonizing life of pain and perhaps come to remorse his actions. But more likely they'll just execute him.
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this will be of any comfort to anyone, but some good may come of the fact that he was given such extensive medical care, even in light of his atrocious actions. Despite reportedly having life-threatening burns over 90% of his body, his burns were treated solely with prosthetic skin and grafts from his own body (the hospital involved reserved what donor skin they had for the victims of the attack). The details of the procedures his surgeons used are apparently to be presented at conference this year. This could very well advance our ability to treat such severe burns in general.

(This info comes mainly from this Japan Times article from late last year. If it's unsubstantiated, please do correct me.)
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote
anyone find it creepy how vindictive people are? Countless people on social media begging for this guy's cold-blooded torture or painful demise. That's all you really see and it sort of even leaks over here.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
anyone find it creepy how vindictive people are? Countless people on social media begging for this guy's cold-blooded torture or painful demise. That's all you really see and it sort of even leaks over here.

They might be vindictive and wish for the suspect's torture, but they aren't murderous.

The suspect who actually tortured people and sent over 30 staff members at Kyoto Animation to a painful demise was both vindictive and murderous.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:

They might be vindictive and wish for the suspect's torture, but they aren't murderous.

uhhmm, I think wishing for anyone's torture is either a sign of needing serious help. Like if you've seen the disturbing camera shots as this guy was being dragged out of the hospital today, he looks like freaking Skull Face from MGS. If there was torture, it was from the idiot burning himself and being used as a hamster for experimental burn surgery. They should just hang him and be done with it but this long wait and spectacle still ongoing has produced a lot of disturbing outcry on social media.

I hate how Japan takes so long for these things when already proven guilty. Some other notable prolific cases like the otaku killer and psychosexual killer also had their hangings delayed for years on end.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:41 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

I hate how Japan takes so long for these things when already proven guilty. Some other notable prolific cases like the otaku killer and psychosexual killer also had their hangings delayed for years on end.

one other case that took forever until there was hanging was the sarin attack in 1995, the leader of the cult, and the rest of them involved in this finally got their hanging in 2018.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
#810704 wrote:

Oh no, I think you're misunderstanding my position here. Not blaming the medical officials or anyone for doing their jobs. In fact i think they're probably the last people advocating that resources should be spent on the monster. It's just infuriating thinking about how this all played out a couple of months ago and how we got daily remainders of people who passed/succumbed to their injuries, whilst the perpetrator spent 7 months recovering with resources that could be better spent else where. Especially if he ends up getting the death penalty anyway. It's just one of those examples of how tragic life can be for me I guess. Not really debating the legality of it.

From my understanding, he got prioritized last among the fire's victims and ended up getting grafted with artificial skin. (first of its kind in Japan's history if I recall correctly) It's not like he was treated better, just the minimum. While I doubt anyone holds much sympathy for him, he is still a human being and deserves at least that much, the same way he deserves to be properly judged by his peers and face justice. You can take solace in that, I suppose.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:26 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni's statement has to be the most polite way to say, "We want nothing to do with you. You've caused us great pain and no amount of reflection can change what you did. Bugger off."

Glad this monster is in custody and will pay for what he did. We love you KyoAni and will always be here to support you.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Judging from seeing that video I saw, it looks to me like the arsonist resembles his true mind. It doesn't help that he may not get the death penalty because of a possible insanity defense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3