• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Threatening Kemono Friends Anime Director Tatsuki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 am Reply with quote
That’s a relief, hopefully the perpetrator can get the help he needs because he obviously has issues, also hopefully this brings some peace of mind victims.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:11 am Reply with quote
Before the KyoAni disaster last year, I would have had the tendency to blow threats like this off. These days? Not so much.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:36 am Reply with quote
Again with threats similar to Kyoto Animation's burning? Ugh, like I've said before, toss him in the ward where the mentally ill are kept, anyone who threatens arson and stabbing threats just because of a personal grudge (that guy's clearly making a crappy excuse trying to justify his behavior Rolling Eyes) does not sound like a normal, functioning person.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
That’s a relief, hopefully the perpetrator can get the help he needs

i'm just curious why you think he deserves help.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
That’s a relief, hopefully the perpetrator can get the help he needs because he obviously has issues,

You're strangely optimistic about provision of mental health care in a country that has very serious issues on that front... But perhaps their state side is less inept in it than their civilian side, hopefully...
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
This is a serious question, and not intended to encourage flamewars.

Why do things like this seem to happen so often in Japan? It seems like every month there's a story about some seiyuu or idol singer being stalked or even attacked. Then we had KyoAni and now this. Is it just a matter of selective perception that I think these incidents are more common in Japan? A greater focus on reporting such incidents in Japanese media? Or is there something more intrinsic to Japanese popular culture and its fanbase?
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Why do things like this seem to happen so often in Japan? It seems like every month there's a story about some seiyuu or idol singer being stalked or even attacked. Then we had KyoAni and now this. Is it just a matter of selective perception that I think these incidents are more common in Japan? A greater focus on reporting such incidents in Japanese media? Or is there something more intrinsic to Japanese popular culture and its fanbase?

Stuff like this happens all the time in the US, its just nobody ever gets arrested for it. Pretty much any internet celebrity gets shit like this whenever some portion of their fanbase decides they don't like them anymore.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is not just Japan. The United States has plenty of stalkers too and death threateners.

I'd bet we'd be horrified at the number of stalkers and threateners each individual female actress, female athlete, and female singer gets on a yearly basis. Really any women who is in the media's eye on a regular basis. Also, women don't have to be in the media's eye to have their own personal stalker (whether random acquaintance, random boyfriend, or random stranger).
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Japan reports 20,000 to 25,000 stalking cases every year. America reports in the millions. Even adjusting for population differences that's still an astronomical difference. America has way more cases of stalking but stalking is low on the totem poll for headlines so it's not paid attention to as much like murder, gang violence, or other crimes are. I'm every every American celebrity gets tons of weirdos. Last month Billie Eilish had to file a restraining over on a fan who kept showing up at her house. But stuff like that probably isn't major news and gets regulated to gossip sites like TMZ or tabloids.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

It happens everywhere, all over the world, in every country.
We just happen to notice it when it gets reported here since we're anime fans coming to a site which posts anime news. It's not Japanese media, it's ANN. I'm not blaming ANN here, they're not at fault, rather there's just not that much anime news in the world so things like this make the short list. Visit your average American, British, French, Japanese, etc, news site and "nutjob fan threatens director" is so far down the priority list for them that we never see it. It gets buried in the sea of bigger scoops for them. But here, where there are relatively few news updates, it's not buried in the mix.

If you seek out western celebrity-themed media like People or TMZ instead of ANN then you'll find a hundred times more articles about Hollywood celebs being stalked, harassed, and threatened.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
A lot of pyromaniacs in Japan. What is going on?

Japan should probably take mental illness more seriously.
principeinquisidor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef

Well, this case was pretty big, it was everywhere, even on the NHK G news, so I highly doubt you can call this a "bottom of the barrel" news scoop.

And yes, Tatsuki has it pretty rough, he went from a niche creator with a decent enough following on Nicovideo and events like Comiket and Comitia to becoming like the second coming of Jesus on barely a month with his debut work as a TV series director. Then there is the whole drama of the 9/25 scandal sparking a never ending war between his fans and the Mafures, a handful of renegades taking the loyalist side defending KFP and attacking Tatsuki, even tough they are so vastly outnumbered that they are jokingly called the 2.6%.
Although seeing that this guy may have attacked also a voice actress of KF2, then it seems his grudge started back then when Kemofure became famous for first time.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
principeinquisidor wrote:
AkumaChef

Well, this case was pretty big, it was everywhere, even on the NHK G news, so I highly doubt you can call this a "bottom of the barrel" news scoop.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that it wasn't a very high priority news scoop in the English-speaking regions of the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1