• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ComiXology, Kodansha Comics to Publish Shaman King Manga Digitally on July 28

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkeex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
this is so disappointing.... i was looking forward to physical reprints Sad
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
kingkeex wrote:
this is so disappointing.... i was looking forward to physical reprints Sad

Reprinting a 35 volume series is a huge gamble even if they did omnibus volumes. I don't know if Kodansha will have an answer to whether or not they'd do print down the line, they'll probably take Q&A at SDCC@Home when they do the panel, but it never hurts to ask. Best thing to do right now is buy the digital release and support it, because at the end of the day the sales will determine if they want to do print.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
Is it at least a new translation?
Sailor Siren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
Only new cover art? Japanese digital version is kanzenban version with redrawn frames/pages and other changes...
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
Well that's disappointing. I was really, really hoping for physical releases. =/
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
Sailor Siren wrote:
Only new cover art? Japanese digital version is kanzenban version with redrawn frames/pages and other changes...

That would be amazing. I'll definitely buy that version if it gets printed down the line.

At least this is a start.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
Sailor Siren wrote:

If it's that version then I assume they're using that as well but haven't specifically stated if it's Kanzenban
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Sailor Siren wrote:

If it's that version then I assume they're using that as well but haven't specifically stated if it's Kanzenban

It is not the Kanzenban, but will be using the redraws as the Kodansha releases in other countries have done so. We get the redraws and the redrawn covers.

Sucks that this is just giving Amazon more money, but hopefully it will get new folks into the fandom.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Dumping 35 volumes.... did they retranslate when they got the license, or are the first 32 volumes Viz's work? I'm not familiar with what Viz did to Shaman King, but if Detective Conan is any indication, yikes.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Dumping 35 volumes.... did they retranslate when they got the license, or are the first 32 volumes Viz's work? I'm not familiar with what Viz did to Shaman King, but if Detective Conan is any indication, yikes.

https://twitter.com/minovskyarticle/status/1285609745680945154?s=21

It looks a little like the Viz translation but the kana for the SFX is left in, which I think means it's new.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote

The Viz translation is honestly solid. They also edited Chocolove/Joco's.....unpleasant visual stereotyping.
Joa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Based on the volume descriptions it looks like Chocolove is still changed to Joco, so I guess they're using the same changes as the Viz translation.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

The Viz translation is honestly solid. They also edited Chocolove/Joco's.....unpleasant visual stereotyping.

That's a plus. I saw his JP appearance and...oof.
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Joa wrote:
Based on the volume descriptions it looks like Chocolove is still changed to Joco, so I guess they're using the same changes as the Viz translation.

I assume it will be the Viz translation, when they put up Initial D in a similar fashion all the previously released volumes still had the terrible TokyoPop translations.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

That's a plus. I saw his JP appearance and...oof.

Indeed. Here’s hoping the character gets a redesign for the upcoming anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2