• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: act-age Stage Play Canceled After Manga Writer Tatsuya Matsuki's Arrest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:09 am Reply with quote
and yet they're still making Kenshin stuff as if nothing happened in that case. bizarre
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:20 am Reply with quote
kenshin anime final season when?

honestly though I feel like people are exaggerating when it comes to the kenshin's author and toriko's author cases, in comparison to this.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
and yet they're still making Kenshin stuff as if nothing happened in that case. bizarre

Kenshin is a proven money-making property with over 20+ years of success, a stalwart fanbase, & reliable profit. Act-Age is a newer title that had only been a manga until this play was announced.

Not defending Watsuki in any way, but it's not hard to see why Kenshin still sees stuff, while Act-Age is getting killed off completely. To business people, it's hard to just kill off something that has always guaranteed them money.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:47 am Reply with quote
Viz also did not publish yesterday’s chapter (meaning there will never be an official English translation), and Viz removed their note on the vault series page saying they would backfill the missing chapters over the “coming months.” In other words, chapters 26-45 may never get officially translated, and volumes 2+ of the English paperback release have been cancelled.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
Honestly sad about the all the people involved in the development of this stage play. The actors and all the backstage people didn't deserve to see their efforts be destroyed like that, which is specially bad considering what this manga was all about.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Alright, let's stop with the constant mentions of Kenshin and it's author. Bringing that up in EVERY thread is getting redundant, especially when it's not the topic.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Honestly sad about the all the people involved in the development of this stage play. The actors and all the backstage people didn't deserve to see their efforts be destroyed like that, which is specially bad considering what this manga was all about.

Yeah, it's hard not to feel bad for them. I get the cancellations, but the ripple effect means that others are affected. Ideally, they would receive some sort of compensation to help make up for the fact that they had nothing to do with it, but I have my doubts that it will happen.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
at least they hadn't gotten too far in the stage play
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:

I feel for those people too.
I think it's nuts that a production that people have put a ton of hard work into is shut down simply because the mangaka--who wasn't even in the production--is a scumbag. I see this as unfairly punishing the production cast and crew for the actions of a 3rd party. Incredibly unfair.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Next Act Age anime is going to be cancelled.

I really hate the mangaka of Act Age for throwing everything away on such a stupid thing. I understand JUMP's decision but do hope in the future that they just get a new writer to finish Act-Age...
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

I really hate the mangaka of Act Age for throwing everything away on such a stupid thing. I understand JUMP's decision but do hope in the future that they just get a new writer to finish Act-Age...

the property is ruined and it wasnt THAT big or impactful to get such a response or treatment.

this would have been interesting if it happened during the anime airing. would have been pulled off air.?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
but do hope in the future that they just get a new writer to finish Act-Age...

That's almost certainly never going to happen. In pretty much any case with an original manga (Read: not an adaptation of an existing property ala the Zelda manga) the creators own the rights to the work. In this case it would likely be shared ownership of the IP between Matsuzaki and Usazaki. Meaning the only way to continue making the series or anything connected to it would require both Matsuzaki's consent and paying him royalties. The only way I can think of around that would be if Matsuzaki signs over ownership entirely, and I can't imagine he'd ever do that.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the poster, the female character on the left looks strikingly similar to the MC of Kasane (coincidentally enough, is also about acting). Really enjoyed Kasane so I'm sad I won't be able to try this one.
Jason Ryer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

No that be the writer. The artist is a 21 year old girl whose art life just got fucked. Also jump doesnt do that when the Author is SOL the book is SOL. thus act age is dead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1