• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Southeast Asia, India Fans Disproportionately Affected by Pirate Site KissAnime Closure

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isshin10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
You can't really blame Indian fans for piracy if there are only less than 120 anime titles are available to watch legally. And mind you those 120 doesn't include any new or popular anime.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:15 pm Reply with quote
No one is blaming anyone overseas, i think...
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
But what about Europe, including Central and Eastern Europe(and the Baltics)? There's Wakanim but I think Wakanim won't welp in Central and Eastern Europe because in C. and E. European countries(they are poorer than Western European countries) Wakanim website is in Russian and it has Russian subs and dubs instead English subs/dubs.

Ironically, most youths in Central and Eastern Europe(excluding Russia,Ukraine and Belarus) doesn't speak/understand Russian. I don't think Wakanim will help lowering piracy in C. and E. Europe. I feel like Central&Eastern European and the Baltic fans may affected by KA and KM closure.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:02 pm; edited 5 times in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Matthew Czubakowski, who runs the because.moe search engine for legal anime streaming availability, told ANN that the site temporarily doubled its usual traffic following news of KissAnime's closure.

Wait are they still operating or working on that website? The last post I see on twitter is from back in May where they said they will no longer update because.moe "for the foreseeable future."
olgita

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
But what about Europe, including Central and Eastern Europe(and the Baltics)? There's Wakanim but I think Wakanim won't welp in Central and Eastern Europe because in C. and E. European countries Wakanim website is in Russian and it has Russian subs and dubs instead English subs/dubs. Ironically, most youths in Central and Eastern Europe(excluding Russia,Ukraine and Belarus) doesn't speak/understand Russian. I don't think Wakanim won't help lowering piracy in C. and E. Europe.

Exactly! Try to live in Poland and watch anime legally - outside of Netflix we basically have nothing. CR is very limited, especially with newest series, and Funimation is not aviable at all. We had Daisuki, but we all know how it ended. So yeah, it's really hard, almost impossible even.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
olgita wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
But what about Europe, including Central and Eastern Europe(and the Baltics)? There's Wakanim but I think Wakanim won't welp in Central and Eastern Europe because in C. and E. European countries Wakanim website is in Russian and it has Russian subs and dubs instead English subs/dubs. Ironically, most youths in Central and Eastern Europe(excluding Russia,Ukraine and Belarus) doesn't speak/understand Russian. I don't think Wakanim won't help lowering piracy in C. and E. Europe.

Exactly! Try to live in Poland and watch anime legally - outside of Netflix we basically have nothing. CR is very limited, especially with newest series, and Funimation is not aviable at all. We had Daisuki, but we all know how it ended. So yeah, it's really hard, almost impossible even.

IKR? Same in Lithuania. As a Lithuanian I'm jealous and upset that Americans have more access to watch animes legally than in my country(altought we have a bit more animes than India but less than the U.S. and the UK). I can't even spend my money on Wakanim because it has, again, it's in Russian and it has Russian subs instead English subs.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising by any means, but it's definitely interesting to read about this. We got it good in the West.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Even in the US where we have a lot of options* it's getting crazy because if you want to watch everything it would cost you over $600 a year in subscription fees. This is a problem outside of streaming, too, and I won't waste time going into too much detail but basically it's "Subscription fatigue"

* "options" is misleading since each service is built upon exclusives so in reality you have to subscribe to them all to watch even 50% of the new anime that come out each season

Last edited by Kougeru on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

My thoughts exactly. It's totally understandable why someone would pirate shows that aren't available legally in their region, although one should not forget that piracy is still an illegal action in these cases and it's going to get negative attention from many people for this reason alone. And although this is definitely anecdotal, most of the blame and vitriol I've seen on Twitter, for example, has been towards either people in the US who pirate series that are available legally in the US or towards KissAnime for their shady practices regarding adblockers and the like.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope everyone knows there are other, in fact much better sites to "unofficially" watch anime on. But if too many people know, those sites will be targeted too, huh.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Even in the US where we have a lot of options* it's getting crazy because if you want to watch everything it would cost you over $600 a year in subscription fees. This is a problem outside of streaming, too, and I won't waste time going into too much detail but basically it's "Subscription fatigue"

Still better than back in the '90s and early 2000s, pre-streaming services, where you paid between $30-40 for a single VHS or DVD volume that only had 4 episodes on it. Even with multiple subscription services, anime is way cheaper and easier to access in the US than it used to be 20 years ago.
Badej

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Not surprising by any means, but it's definitely interesting to read about this. We got it good in the West.

You mean the USA has it good.

ErikaD.D wrote:
olgita wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
(...)

IKR? Same in Lithuania. As a Lithuanian I'm jealous and upset that Americans have more access to watch animes legally than in my country(altought we have a bit more animes than India but less than the U.S. and the UK). I can't even spend my money on Wakanim because it has, again, it's in Russian and it has Russian subs instead English subs.

I'm Dutch and we have a bit more titles than Eastern Europe, while we do get a lot of titles from the UK we also get a lot from France. However, the French licensor somehow thinks Dutch people all know French as they only make City Hunter available in either the French dub or Japanese dub without any subs. While only 29% of the population knows French and not even to a degree that's actually usable in real life, and then they have the nerve to complain about pirating.

LadyKuzunoha wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

My thoughts exactly. It's totally understandable why someone would pirate shows that aren't available legally in their region, although one should not forget that piracy is still an illegal action in these cases and it's going to get negative attention from many people for this reason alone. And although this is definitely anecdotal, most of the blame and vitriol I've seen on Twitter, for example, has been towards either people in the US who pirate series that are available legally in the US or towards KissAnime for their shady practices regarding adblockers and the like.

To be fair, i'd rather pirate anime than support the likes of Funimation or Netflix.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Interesting! A more in-depth breakdown would be interesting to see, but I can also understand if ANN doesn't wanna go through a whole bunch of data that isn't too terribly interesting by itself/make a way to filter results just for this.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
i read stuff online becasue a ton of the "good" stuff never gets translated from jp so fan translations are only source.

places like india have it very harsh and rely on them for similar reasons.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, THIS is the kind of stuff that goes unnoticed or unsaid due to it being overshadowed by people who were just stealing and now having the SLIGHT inconvenience of needing to watch ads (which is still less convenient than Kissanime considering how malware-ridden that place was). A lot of the problems with the discourse around streaming and sites like Kissanime is that it's very US-centric, not talking about the lack of anime resources in places like Asia, Europe, Latin America, Africa, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4