• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Late Kyoto Animation Background Artist's Family Opens Exhibit of Her Work

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This is beautiful and sad at the same time. I hope part of that arsonist's punishment will include taking a tour of that exhibit so he can take a good long look at what he took away from this world.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Her art is absolutely stunning. I'm glad this is being done, but I don't think anyone would've forgotten her work. The background art in those shows is quite often praised by fans across the world - well, in Kyoani shows in general. Of her works my favorite has to be the Meidragon stuff. It's style just fits my tastes more
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:39 am Reply with quote
the victims loved ones will always remember them and their work too will continue to live in peoples minds. rest in peace.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:06 am Reply with quote
I’ve collected anime production artwork for years and backgrounds have been a big part of that. I’ve often felt that they were under appreciated. While there are many generic backgrounds, there also a lot of really lovely ones that can stand alone as their own piece of artwork. The backgrounds I own from Kobato, particularly some from episode 1, 13 and 19, are some of the loveliest backgrounds I have ever seen for sale.

Many years ago, I was acquaintances with someone who worked for an anime studio. I expressed interest in a certain feature the company had worked on and that I would love to buy some of the very detailed backgrounds produced for that feature. I was told that the studio would eventually destroy them if there wasn’t enough public interest in the film. If there was interest, the items would be photographed for art book production. Sadly, the former happened, and I’m sure those backgrounds are long gone.

I would like to hope that, in the case of this creator, some of the backgrounds that she created still physically exist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1