• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Children of the Sea BR

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Glad this is making its way on Netflix, because its definitely a movie I want to check out for the spectacle alone, but not sure I want to own it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
If the dub was unavailable for review why did it get a B- grade?
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I could agree with this review more. I'm glad I got to see this anime in a theater, the visuals are so fantastic. Only thing about the animation I didn't like was the accentuated detail on everyone's eyelashes, no one in that town uses Maybelline because they're all born with it.

Also agree the dub leads don't do the film any favors.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
I must also chime in with a different take.

There are some films I like that are more high concept and meditative than about their characters. Such as Oshii's Ghost in the Shell films.

Children of the Sea is just like it. I have no knowledge of the source material manga, but the key to understanding the film in a scientific theory of panspermia. Essentially belief in Darwinian Evolution encountered numerous insurmountable problems that put its proposed mechanisms in doubt due to statistical improbabilities and, frankly, impossible ad hoc presuppositions that were absurd considering everything we know about our terrestrial world.

One idea was to take the 'origin of life' problem away from Earth and imagine it taking place off-world in hypothetically different conditions somewhere in the universe that made the origin of life from non-living matter possible, that was then carried on asteroids and comets and eventually deposited here.

The film uses that idea to tie into themes of Creation, life, birth, puberty and maturity.

It is about something much bigger and deeper a mystery than we are capable of understanding. And it's the same for a young girl caught up in the complexities of life happening around her, from her parent's relationship, to whatever the scientists and military people are up to, to difficulties socially at school, to her own frustrated and complex feelings.

But that is life. You live it, suffer it, and love, marvel and wonder about it and all its beauty and miracles, despite it being something too large to ever fully grasp.

Its the kind of film you sit back and experience. Certainly not everyone is into that, but I personally dig it! I It's also a splendidly animated film that lovers of the medium as a purely artistic endeavour won't want to miss!

I'll be picking it up on blu ray for sure!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1