• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Just Who is Captain Harlock?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
So what this is saying is that scars are hereditary and carried on the Y-chromosome? Smile
Tiger Mask

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh man I can't stand these reviewers and their need to feel offended in every movie they watch.

On the other hand Arcadia of my Youth is one of the greatest movies ever made.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Doug Focker?! I wish his first name was Doug (because that's my name), but it's Roy Focker. Guess you four aren't Macross fans.[/img]
neverthere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Masculine merely means adult male. It heavily implies being mature, civilized, respectful, respectable, responsible and independent.

By that proper definition bros are not masculine. The moniker "bro" originated with the bawdy fraternity scene at (some American) colleges and denotes "manchild."

You have positive masculinity and negative - or toxic - masculinity. The former: Jonas Salk, who turned down a more lucrative career as a physician in favor of the then newer and much less prominent immunology/virology field and developed a successful polio treatment which he chose to not patent or otherwise any profit from so that it could treat more people faster. (Such a patent is estimated as having been potentially worth $7 billion.)

The latter? Some cad - who may or may not be affiliated with a fraternal organization - who roofies a female at a party and then avails himself of the services of an expert lawyer to evade the consequences of his dire act by exploiting some technicality.

The whole "this work is too masculine" thing is based on taking the idea that positive and negative masculinity are one and the same. As a result, where masculinity has to exist, it must be viewed as a necessary evil at the very best and controlled accordingly. A superior view? The existence of any negative or toxic masculinity at all is too much, it is a very lamentable thing and should not be suffered at all. However, the idea that there could ever be such a thing as too much positive masculinity is an absurdity. Does this mean that we do not need as many erstwhile Jonas Salks as we can get? If not, why not?

The infamous imperialist Genghis Khan was a mere bro. Jonas Salk was a man. The former should not be conflated with the latter in any sense beyond the happenstance of their shared biology. And we should not use the terrible fact of the existence of the latter as reason or excuse for slights against the former.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Tiger Mask wrote:
Oh man I can't stand these reviewers and their need to feel offended in every movie they watch.

I'm none too happy about it either, but it's something that needs to be done, to let the readers know that some things in some anime can be offensive to some people. No matter how obvious it is from the screengrabs alone.

In other news, Nick seriously hasn't heard about Inuyasha 'til now?
viev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm a big Harlock fan and I love Arcadia of My Youth, but I feel like it doesn't really do it for me like the shows do, especially the sequel series, Endless Orbit SSX. The film is way more into the whole thematic mythology of the character and it can get a little up it's own ass. Glad someone finally pointed out how kind of off-putting the masculinity stuff can be lol.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Tiger Mask wrote:

I'm none too happy about it either, but it's something that needs to be done, to let the readers know that some things in some anime can be offensive to some people.

I could be misremebering since we recorded this, but I don't think either Micchy or I were offended by anything? Like we found some of the lines or plot points eye-rolly, but to hear this thread tell it you'd think this conversation was wall-to-wall pearl clutching. I'm kind of curious why pretty mild criticism (or even just acknowledgment that the movie's very invested in tying traditional archetypes of masculinity into its perspective on personal liberty and freedom) comes off to some folks as an attack.

Quote:
In other news, Nick seriously hasn't heard about Inuyasha 'til now?

I've heard of the series obviously, but until this season I'd never made time to sit down and watch the series proper.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
FWIW I haven't watched that, but generally This Week in Anime tend to not be too harsh on its subject unless there's good reason, and I include this as a "not too harsh" as my impression of the review.
I also don't think noticing creepiness in "little girl is dead, now she can't have babies with us!" is being too thin-skinned.
Anime fans tend to be too easily offended by any negativeness to things they like in my opinion, and I don't mean just this thread - I noticed it also on MAL and Reddit.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Anime fans tend to be too easily offended by any negativeness to things they like in my opinion, and I don't mean just this thread - I noticed it also on MAL and Reddit.

Definitely. When someone says "I don't like thing", especially in a critical context, it's all too easy for anime fans to interpret it as if they're being shamed for liking the thing that the other person doesn't. And if they're impressionable enough, that negative stance could ruin their enjoyment of the series in question. That, they don't want, so they try to ignore or downplay the negatives, even if it ends up insulting the reviewer in the process. Now, I try to avoid this nowadays, but even when the worst review of something I like doesn't affect my enjoyment of that something any, it still hurts a little to lay witness to the negativeness.

At least, that's my interpretation of why anime fans don't like having the shows they like criticized.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 am Reply with quote
Cleaned this up some. If you don't agree with a review or column that's one thing, simply posting trollish "this is pointless" style comments are not. They do not foster any sort of discussion and are just pointless. Believe it or not people can have different opinions, and just because a reviewer does not like a title you do it is not some personal attack on you as a fan. So let's stop with it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
Zainv wrote:
Terrible review (actually I'm not even sure if you can call this a review).
Interesting you should say this. It would be a terrible review... if it was a review. This Week in Anime isn't a review . It's a discussion of an anime. The critics discuss what struck them (ie: what they found interesting) about the show in question. They may or may not say whether they liked it, but it's not the purpose of the discussion.

In this case, they found the focus on manliness rather interesting (or critique saying they enjoyed that), as well as a bunch of other factors.

Personally, I didn't get the impression anyone was saying Arcadia of My Youth was bad because of the pervasive masculinity.

Note: While I am ANN's publisher, I am not involved in any day-to-day editorial. We maintain a separation between that department, and mine. My perspective on this column if very much that of anyone else who works in an unrelated department. Ie: a lot like any other reader.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
People shouldn't be thinking "review" when they read "This Week in Anime", they should be thinking "Mystery Anime Theatre 3000".
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:18 am Reply with quote
Tiger Mask wrote:

On the other hand Arcadia of my Youth is one of the greatest movies ever made.

No kidding. I just suffered through their worthless city hunter "review", and honestly these two jackasses need to stay away from 80's anime. Go back to watching your "Fantasy settings about finding a girl I cant talk to" animes and leave the good vintage stuff to those who know what they are talking about.

Idiots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1