• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Promised Neverland's Live-Action Film Reveals Theme Song in Full Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I may have mentioned this somewhere before, but the only concern I have is that this is from the same director/writer duo that worked on the film version of Erased, which changed a great ending to something unnecessarily tragic just because.

That aside--I'll be honest and say this is actually looking very cool for what it is. Plenty of scenic imagery, that creature certainly made me jump in my seat--and are those POC kids mixed in with the main Japanese cast? I'm definitely intrigued enough to hope for a future English-subtitled release.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Kinda sad they whitewashed one character -- but at least the kids are varying ethnicities.

They probably have way, way way less black skin actors in Japan than America.
Adrian Barnes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Phil was the only character I wanted them to get right and I don't see Phil in any of these photo's... which means he is in the photo, and they screwed it up. I was fine with Sister Krona being Naomi as long is Phil was done correctly. Live-actions shouldn't be a thing ever. this isn't even a hard one to do correct. no 11-12 year old actors that could of being the main cast? gotta watch 2 adults and one kid be the same age? cmon now.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:00 am Reply with quote
Adrian Barnes wrote:
Phil was the only character I wanted them to get right and I don't see Phil in any of these photo's... which means he is in the photo, and they screwed it up.

What do you mean "get Phil right" based on what we've seen so far? Be non-Japanese? Look directly at the camera like he always faces toward us on the manga covers? I heard somewhere that Phil plays some kind of larger role in the larger story, but considering the likelihood this is meant to be a standalone film adaptation, there clearly isn't going to be much for Phil to do except maybe be one of the more prominent young kids in the crowd (not to mention there is only so much performance any director can get out of a young kid actor), so I don't fully understand what you were wanting to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1