• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Talentless Nana

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that the specific wording in JP Kyoya uses to describe his talent is much closer to "immortality" than "invincibility". He's more than just extremely resilient, death is a flat-out impossibility for him, not to mention he's also unaging, which explains some of his quirks. Unfamiliar with modern slang, into retro games and manga, suggests playing with a weird doll as an alternative, his archaic way of talking (which can't be entirely reflected in English, but the subs do have him refer to Nana as "kid", which isn't someone the same age would do) - it serves to hint at the fact that he's at least quite a bit older than he looks.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I did get a little spoiled by the "big twist" at the end of the first episode after hearing a lot of hoopla over it so it kind of ruined the shock factor for me. But regardless of that, it feels so freakin' refreshing to see an anime series with a female lead doing these battle-of-the-wits thing. I doubt this will reach the heights of Death Note or the like, but I'm on board with this show as long it doesn't peter out badly.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that Nana actually hates that old manga because being forced by a bunch of adults to fight and kill superpowered monsters at great personal risk to yourself is a pretty raw deal.

I was spoiled on the show going in, which is the entire reason I watched it in the first given how painfully rote the character designs and PV were. Can't say I share the frothing hatred of "potatoes", but it was quite satisfying to see Nana show her true colors. After the great finish to episode three, I'm curious where the show will go. Will Nana continue focusing on Kyoya or will she try killing someone instead and avoiding him?
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I was spoiled on the show going in, which is the entire reason I watched it in the first given how painfully rote the character designs and PV were.

Me too, lol. I had no interest in the show until I read about the 1st episode twist.
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like anime that I can't root for the protagonist and I can't root for a straight up serial killer. And killing people because they might do something bad in the future? It doesn't get more yikes than that.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I remember this for a certain article years ago that criticized it for the way its twist destroyed its worldbuilding, and while I understand that some of it gets explained down the line (like spoiler[why the government would send a single assassin to take out the students instead of other methods like poison or bombings]), there's a point to be made in how many holes pop up in the premise the more you think about it. So instead of worrying about that, I took it as unashamed pulp fiction about a bloody cat-and-mouse game and got my enjoyment out of it that way.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like anime that I can't root for the protagonist and I can't root for a straight up serial killer. And killing people because they might do something bad in the future? It doesn't get more yikes than that.
she's cute tho
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:

I can't stand the series as Nana is killing them as they are in fact helping people. And it's kind of sick seeing how Steve gets off on this. I'm supposed to relishing the death of each character? That's... odd as the only character I'm hoping to see die right now is Nana.

I don't watch Friday the 13th movies to see Jason kill teen after teen, I watch them to see the Final Girl finally stop him.

I'm expecting yet another twist, one to untwist that twist but I don't know if it'll be worth it.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I don't watch Friday the 13th movies to see Jason kill teen after teen, I watch them to see the Final Girl finally stop him.

Good for you but a lot of people watch horror movies because they want to see people die. That doesn't discredit your opinion, and likewise your opinion doesn't discredit theirs. If you don't like it, that's fine. Don't watch the show. Don't interact with the people you think are "sick" because they enjoy it. Clearly this show, and it's fanbase, are not for you.

Feel like people are reading too much into an anime that's basically just a trashy suspense story.

I enjoy Talentless Nana but man, it's really not that deep.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="youarenotanorc"]Post removed[/spoiler]

But I think you're misunderstanding what steve is even getting at. all he was saying that nana being a very calculated subversion of the "manic pixie dream girl" trope (which can definitely be construed as sexist, although it can depend on the context) is a decent bit of feminist writing, regardless of whether that was the author's intention. no one is trying to argue talentless nana is a work of feminist art (because i can definitely tell you upfront it's not, even if nana herself is a very respectable protagonist all things considered).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I am incredibly concerned that this is going to end in a huge "go buy the manga" ending.

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
That won't be as hard as you think because spoiler[one of the few girls Nana kills is in fact a total psychopath and one of Nana's few justified kills. She kills 2 other girls, but they're jerks in the typical teenager way, not irredeemably awful.]

Agreed. spoiler[How much or how little I've been "on Nana's side" has typically had absolutely nothing to do with whether she's trying to kill a boy or a girl.]
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
male entitlement in an incalculable number of anime and manga series

Yes, generally the ones aimed at boys. And the ones aimed at girls with a female lead character do exactly the same thing with impossibly amazing boys and men falling all over the unremarkable girl next door stand in for the viewer. It's not really much of a case of male entitlement, more of a case of self-insertion, wish fulfillment, and identifying with the main character.

As far as Death Note goes, it's a perfectly excellent demonstration of Lord Acton's maxim but certainly you can't make any sort of work like that without having Bad Fans. It's quite clear that Walter White is irredeemably evil and not justified in anything that he did from the very beginning (and there were always other options), but that doesn't stop people from rooting for him or Tony Soprano.
arkhangelsk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:53 am Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:

Well, she's cute, she's the underdog despite her relative intelligence, she's exploited (by the government even if they are right).

And when the estimated casualties are in the millions, the calculus of pre-emptive strikes based on probability changes.

John Thacker wrote:
Yes, generally the ones aimed at boys. And the ones aimed at girls with a female lead character do exactly the same thing with impossibly amazing boys and men falling all over the unremarkable girl next door stand in for the viewer. It's not really much of a case of male entitlement, more of a case of self-insertion, wish fulfillment, and identifying with the main character.

But even then, the allocations are different. Notice that in the examples cited, the boys are still the ones with the abilities. Japanese writing is often quite sexist in regard to allocation, but ironically I think it does make the series with female TUEEE characters more viewable than those with male TUEEE characters. The Japanese writer's instinct is to create moments of weakness and vulnerability, which ironically gives the characters some much needed roundness to be more cute than disgusting. Wink
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:11 am Reply with quote
what I like me about Nana is to have raised her first episode as a generic "magic high school battle anime" full of cliches just to finally shoves them all a trash.

This series is the destruction of fantasy chuuni, Nanao is basically a representation of "anime protagonist" archetype as Touma and Shirou Emiya an apparent loser with a hard life or traumatic past he wich is presented with a supernatural event where he can prove that he is better than others while all the girls around him fall in love with he.

It may not be a good anime and the script is full of plot holes, but it has a lot of merit to have created a series (perhaps the only one of its type) that goes against self-insert fantasies.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:52 am Reply with quote
Anneyuno1 wrote:
it has a lot of merit to have created a series (perhaps the only one of its type) that goes against self-insert fantasies.

It doesn't. It really, *really* doesn't. All it does is trade one cliché for another. The review's reading of the first episode is interesting and I like it; but it is unfortunately inapplicable to this series in the long run. That will not be evident in the material this season covers, however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12