• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Is 1st Manga to Take Top 22 Spots in Japan's Weekly Sales

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
As a fan for both the manga and anime, I am happy to see its astounding performance that absolutely shattered lots of records; although I do wish Attack on Titan, another of my favorites, can have a boost of this magnitude Sad
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the actual Oricon chart like ANN used to post weekly would make seeing this news much better, but its in the link.
Kadenza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Still not sure how the series became such a phenomenon. It sure does have a wide appeal, but having finally read the manga last week I don't see what exactly it is. The narrative and action paneling are far from being the series' strengths, quite the opposite actually. The characters are likable though. It's shocking how unbearable the pacing gets at times, I wouldn't have had the patience to read it weekly.
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
As a fan for both the manga and anime, I am happy to see its astounding performance that absolutely shattered lots of records; although I do wish Attack on Titan, another of my favorites, can have a boost of this magnitude Sad

AoT, when first season started airing, got a boost from 500k per volume to 2 million per volume. All its volumes at the time were on the top charts for half an year at least. All reports kept suggesting it was a once a decade type of hit (previously achieved only by full metal alchemist in the 2000's). pretty much only one piece volumes sell more than it. and AoT managed to keep its momentum during all these years. Don't get me wrong, I love kny anime (I dont read manga anymore), but you can't really compare AoT to such a "recent and short" manga. I still believe it's because ufotable nailed the adaptations, and when they make something right (fate series), the reception and sales are always top.

Last edited by kikuzinho on Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
liatris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I think the main reason it's been such a hit is because the manga focuses on family.
It's been almost 50 years since Shonen Jump was first published.
Nowadays, Jump is read by kids and adults alike.
However, if you look at Dragon Ball or One Piece, there are few family relationships, or at best, a father and son story.
Demon Slayer, however, shows a very diverse family throughout.
Fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, foster parents, orphans...
The result is that it reaches every generation.
No parent now has an extreme aversion to jumping.
Demon Slayer has captured all of that audience.
RoninX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:04 am Reply with quote
liatris wrote:
I think the main reason it's been such a hit is because the manga focuses on family.
It's been almost 50 years since Shonen Jump was first published.
Nowadays, Jump is read by kids and adults alike.
However, if you look at Dragon Ball or One Piece, there are few family relationships, or at best, a father and son story.
Demon Slayer, however, shows a very diverse family throughout.
Fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, foster parents, orphans...
The result is that it reaches every generation.
No parent now has an extreme aversion to jumping.
Demon Slayer has captured all of that audience.

I don’t think that’s quite true at all. Naruto blew up, and that was before having everything to do with family revenge, clans, ninja lineage, etc. Everybody is connected somehow in that series. I personally think it’s just the effort of UFOTABLE to go above and beyond in their animation that managed to capture a fan base
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:19 am Reply with quote
I think one of the reason KnY work so well for most people is because the author know how to make the readers feel the emotion of the moment and the characters. Most Shounen rely on "cool and epic" moments while KnY mainly focus in the emotional aspects. Everyone could tell a story, but not everyone could make the readers feel the emotional impact of a story.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:43 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
I think one of the reason KnY work so well for most people is because the author know how to make the readers feel the emotion of the moment and the characters. Most Shounen rely on "cool and epic" moments while KnY mainly focus in the emotional aspects. Everyone could tell a story, but not everyone could make the readers feel the emotional impact of a story.

Yeah, nah... many shonen use the feels and do it well. This isn't something unique to KnY. At all.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:00 am Reply with quote
mooseV01 wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:

Yeah, nah... many shonen use the feels and do it well. This isn't something unique to KnY. At all.

What i mean is the focus, most Shounen focus in the "cool" moments as their main point ( Bleach, DBZ,...) while the "feel" moments are either feel force or not the focus (Naruto especially after the timeskip). KnY "feel" moments are it main selling point. Some of the best moments in the manga aren't about fighting but rather melodramatic moments. And more then anything KnY did these moments better than most shounen series.
CliffSaos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:19 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Seeing the actual Oricon chart like ANN used to post weekly would make seeing this news much better, but its in the link.

Last year a made a thread asking the staff what happened.

They said that they were working on it and soon the rankings would be back.

And now they deleted my thread and their answer. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1