• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Begonia, I Hardly Knew Ya

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Watched this movie last year or so. I remember really enjoying the first hour or so of the movie and then losing me towards the end. The movie looked beautiful from start to finish, just wished the story kept me interested through out.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
If it makes Jean-Karlo feel any better, I'm also not a particular fan of Miyazaki movies, and I think some of it has to to with others being just as good if not better at utilizing the animated medium, and some of it just has to do with him.

With my relative lack of whelm over Your Name, I worry my view on Shinkai is going to be similar.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:47 am Reply with quote
Do they seriously expect us to read those subtitles? I can barely tell they are subs, let alone what they might say.

Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Do they seriously expect us to read those subtitles? I can barely tell they are subs, let alone what they might say.

Yeah, this problem was also present in their Yamibo review. Tubi TV needs larger subtitles, or at the very least, ANN needs a way for us to click on the images to see them in full size instead of just leaving them as thumbnails.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I talked to the team about it and believe it or not, that's the largest setting. Making the images clickable would also make the coding end for me MUCH longer since it'd add an A HREF link to most of the images. We'll be avoiding Tubi TV for the column for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I have nothing against TWiA being critical sometimes, but this is the first time I was so annoyed with the way it was criticized.I didn't watched the film, just some previews BTW.

I get Jean-Karlo doesn't like Ghibli movies, but they are pretty universally likes by both critics and masses, and are still well-liked after decades, so they're objectively good movies that elicit emotion in many viewers, as some articles written on this site attest to. Reading a bit nasty fragment about movie having a big budget, lavish animation scene, that supposedly feels emotionally empty because it's like Ghibli movies is just, like... what? What does it really tell me about movie? All I get is reviewer having weird taste and due to being in minority having an axe to grind with them and any well-animated fantasy kid movies.

And "chaste, non-threatening, platonic heterosexual couples holding hands" is another annoying one. The characters seem to be kids in love in fairy-tale story, why should they be threatening or having sex on the screen? Inserting "heterosexual" there seems to suggest they should insert gay/queer characters here but were to cowardly to do so, having straight couple/love triangle isn't some sin to be held against movie. It seems like continuation of the hipster-ish "it's too popular/mainstream" attack.

I feel like after reading some crotchety old guy telling all those popular Ghibli-like kids to get out of his lawn, which was even more alienating as stuff I've seen recently is more like anime series OVAs like BHA, Made in Abyss and RE:Zero movies, or stuff like Your Name or Maquia, and plan to watch "Ride your wave", none of those I'd count as Ghibli-like, so unlike the isekai complaints I don't even see where that "Ghibli shadow" obsession is coming from - and isekai complaints has more to them then just popularity, like the lazily simplified RPG game world they often use. I know he admits that this doesn't mean it's not great movie and his opinion of Miyazaki movies is mostly his only, but those parts make neither funny nor interesting read.
I don't mean no one should criticize Ghibli, but not as "this is as pretty as them, but just like them I don't get what so great about it, they're all too popular and feel generic to me so watch it I guess" feels pointless to me.

As for small font, could the text be repeated under screenshot maybe by TWiA writers? I know it would look bit weird, but it would be simpler then making them all links.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:16 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Yeah, I talked to the team about it and believe it or not, that's the largest setting. Making the images clickable would also make the coding end for me MUCH longer since it'd add an A HREF link to most of the images. We'll be avoiding Tubi TV for the column for now.

Tubi's the worst, but not the only offender. It would help to not have pics reduced so that they'll fit side by side, and cramming 4 in together gets to where I can barely tell what each pic itself is showing me. Is there a reason you can't just stack the images vertically so they don't have to be so small in the first place? It's not like the page doesn't have infinite scroll.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Pity that there's no Encyclopedia entry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1