• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: SPY×FAMILY GN 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Based on the review, Yor is useless and she is another Sakura, right?

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Based on the review, Yor is another Sakura, right?

Uh, no? She's just the most clueless one out of the bunch. With all the secrets involved, it just kinda works out that way. But I personally love Yor. Author could have easily made her a kuudere/expressionless type considering her job, but she's not and a real joy because of it. She's frankly the most capable of the bunch, just held back with the least information. On the otherhand, Anya is the least capable with the most info. Twilight thinks he's the most capable and has all the info, but really he's neither, haha.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I think Yor is underplayed as a character, indeed. Very often she's reduced to a 'she's very strong' punchline and even some chapters that focus on her don't really give her much to do? Somehow, I feel like while both Anya and Twilight have clear storylines and distinct personalities, Yor is just... feminine and strong and that's about it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with Yor isn't that she is particularly underdeveloped compared to the other two protagonists, but rather that the manga's entire premise relies on her being the member of the family with the least idea of "the mission".

Twilight knows the real reason why Anya has been enrolled in the school, but doesn't know that his wife is a government assassin or that his daughter is a psychic. Anya knows who her parents really are, and why her dad wants her to attend the school, but only through the lens of a small child, who often misunderstands the situations she finds herself in, mainly due to a worldview that is almost entirely motivated by her fear of abandonment.

Yor, on the other hand, basically thinks she's found herself a a well-off, widowed doctor who seems deeply invested in his daughter's upbringing. She worries that her husband will find out about her real job, about falling too hard for a man who she "knows" isn't actually interested in her romantically, and about (later chapter spoiler) spoiler[her husband cheating on her with a woman that she believes is far more compatible with him than her]. All three of those major concerns are compelling, and lead to some really funny mishaps, but - for the most part - none of them really has had any major impact on the "core story". Her involvement in anything - other than silly one-off chapters - is often pretty limited, beyond her coming in and saving the day (without actually being aware that she's doing so). Since a lot of the character development happens within these main plot-centric arcs, she ends up not getting a lot of character development.

Despite all of that, though, is that she's honestly a lot more plot-relevant than most anime moms (looking at you, almost every woman from Dragon Ball after she has a baby). I guess you take what you can get with shonen.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, man, ouch. I'm still sore about what Toriyama did to Videl.

Amuro1X wrote:
....She's frankly the most capable of the bunch, just held back with the least information. On the otherhand, Anya is the least capable with the most info. Twilight thinks he's the most capable and has all the info, but really he's neither, haha.

A perfect summary of their dynamic. I expected to find Anya the most amusing character of the set, and... okay, she is, but Yor is definitely giving her a good run! Especially in volume 3.

I do wonder how long the manga will be able to sustain this premise, though. In my experience every manga built on a circle of misunderstandings will inevitable reach the point where the comedy transforms into tragedy, or worse, cruelty. The Barakamon prequel Managua, Handa-kun is a good, but far from unique, example.

Ideally the manga should, eventually, grow out of this, and personally I think Yor would work best as the first one to gain some inkling of the truth--which should definitely be revealed piecemeal. EG she should learn that Twilight is a spy, or at least strongly suspect that, so that their relationship can progress "more honestly," but still think Anya is just his daughter. Then they can each learn a bit more of "the truth" in rotation as the series progresses.

At least if there's any plan for a proper dramatic arc and not just a perpetual repetition of the same gags culminating in a, "the story goes on," copout ending.

But that's all a long way away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1