• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Big Order is a Trashy Treasure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd love a "best of the worst" type of show for anime just like this (although I'm guessing it would constantly be getting DMCA take down).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I have no memory of this... A little odd, as I usually at least remember show names, even if I have no interest
For a moment I thought you were covering Heavy Object but the pics and description of it being complete trash confused me. I mean, plenty of people thought it was bad, I think it was mediocre... but I do think of it occasionally- so it's at least remained memorable,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jeckersly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. I remember watching this when it was airing.

Absolute garbage.

Have literally thought about it for 0 seconds since it ended until just now.

It's seriously terrible.

Anime gets so cringey when it's bad.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
0/10 review, y'all didn't even mention the spoiler[ embodied stands [/spoilers] that show up later

spoiler[jsk, I should find some friends to watch this with, sounds terrible (in a good way)!]]

Last edited by PotatoGirl on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the incest was another example NBR
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the rundown on the BD, I HAVE to add that to my Christmas List now!! Like you all, I loved this sh*t and have rewatched several times when I need a good laugh...Always wanted to have it uncensored... Cool
scowler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I think King's Game could "compete" with this title for Entertainingly Worst Anime.

Big Order is so bad, it does recontextualize Future Diary somewhat. Not in a good way. As in, it becomes clearer that nothing in that show made any sense at all, and it was just a singular outrageously written character that even made the show memorable.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading 20ish chapters of the Manga, yes, it's garbage, but it did 1 thing right:

Yuki believes he wished to destroy the world but what actually happened was that he wished for world domination, but, in a monkey paw twist he didn't get it as in "I am the king of the world" but he got complete control over the planet and all of it's systems.

Obviously it went berserk because nobody can control that many systems, even more if you are a brat, I thought it was genius.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I remember the manga later makign Sena don a Che Guevara beret and plan a revolution while her stepbrother tries to stop her. First at a lake or dam, then at a train... and there end my memories.
I had read the manga before the anime was announced and I anticipated it, I wanted to watch that pile of crap in full color, voiced and animated.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The viewing experience can only be described as "What if you personally experienced instrumentality, but also had to watch Big Order forever?"

Now that made me laugh out loud
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:11 am Reply with quote
This column was absolutely hilarious! You guys need to cover truly bad anime more often! I mean, are there other anime with immaculate conceptions and useless nuclear weapons and bargain stands? I’m sure that at least some of those elements are in some ridiculously awful edgy so-bad-it’s-good crap.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:16 am Reply with quote
I actually read the entire manga for this (though I didn't watch the anime), and I definitely do not remember the incest being that explicit. Were the incest bits adapted straight from the manga? Did I just completely bleach it out of my memory in a desperate act of self-preservation? Well, I'm certainly never rereading the manga to find out...
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
I actually read the entire manga for this (though I didn't watch the anime), and I definitely do not remember the incest being that explicit. Were the incest bits adapted straight from the manga? Did I just completely bleach it out of my memory in a desperate act of self-preservation? Well, I'm certainly never rereading the manga to find out...

No, you are correct. There was no (non-blood related) incest in the manga. All these scenes were added by the anime.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
My unironic favorite anime of the season. It was so shockingly bad I had to rewatch the first episode with friends several times over before I could stop laughing.
Giowolvan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Big Order and Taboo Tattoo both remain in my memories as those two super trashy shows from 2016 that made me question how far is too far for trashy anime series that ambiguously border the line between serious and comedic.

One seems like an edgy shounen manga gone way wrong with a lot of already bad tropes it could find from and the other feels like a light light novel that thought it could try using all popular light novel categories at the time, but both made train wrecks that would be more apt to call train wrecks with two bullet tains ramming into each other at maximum speeds.

Incidentally besides the plethora of used tropes and general trashiness, both also feature superpowers that are just plain bizarre even to the characters themselves.

Divine Gate might fit into this category of 2016 anime trashiness as well, but that one was absolutely boring compared to the two forementioned high speed train explosions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2