• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Two Ohio Lawmakers Put Dr. Susan Napier's Anime from Akira to Howl's Moving Castle On the

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they don't yield to such nonsense.

I am curious though about what exactly they found 'racy' in it?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Probably some Bible-thumpers feeling offended at something that they can't understand.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Must be a slow week for the politicians. Gotta complain about something ridiculous that is ruining the fabric of America. Rolling Eyes
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure the point of that waiver is to give fair warning to student and parent that if they decide they are mature enough to attend college courses with adults, they shouldn't be surprised if things aren't always PG-13.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Most anime academia text usually dedicate at least one section to hentai, so it's probably 'cause of that. (Legend of the Overfiend in particular is a popular title for these kinds of books.) Honestly, I've taken plenty of courses that required reading risque literature before, so I don't see much of an issue as long they make sure to warn younger students in advance.
daggerbob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Guess there were a couple of ecchi titles included, or maybe a section on hentai. If a high school or middle school student is "mature" enough to attend college courses then their parents, or guardians, should have the inkling that most coursework won't be on Dr. Seuss or Teletubbies.
If they want to ban Anime from Akira to Howl's Moving Castle then they need to look at another book to ban that contains a lot more sex and violence. One they probably have on their shelves at home right now and make their children read every Sunday.
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I am curious though about what exactly they found 'racy' in it?

I'm assuming it was the tentacle rape screenshot from Urotsukidoji that did it. Either that or the bath scene from My Neighbor Totoro, because Heaven forbid that female children should take baths with their father.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
There's a couple hentai scene shots in the book from what I recall. I have the book somewhere in my collection o' crap. Honestly, when I read it, I was under the age of 18. Got it as a Xmas gift. It really wasn't bad at all. Even the h-shots are tame in comparison to todays stuff.
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Always find it funny with things like this. Reading books about Japanese animation with nude scenes is a no-no but intense study of nude statues that are uncensored and anatomically correct is fine?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Must be a slow week for the politicians. Gotta complain about something ridiculous that is ruining the fabric of America. Rolling Eyes

So basically business as usual?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

I'm sure it being a book written by a Doctor who is also a woman has nothing to do with it... Rolling Eyes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Bah, a couple of new (2019) kids on the block trying to make a name for themselves and prove who's more conservative than thou by railing against those Chinese cartoons.
Ralph Snackshi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
That quote from the Fox interview sounds like they just wanted to take money away from a school and used this book as an excuse. I mean...its an academic text! This is like trying to sue a school for carrying the dictionary because it might have naughty words in it. They know what their doing, this is extortion plain and simple.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I have this book somewhere, it's an old book at this point so not sure how this is a big deal. Unless the latest revisions went full on Kite it's a nothing burger.

Going back and rereading the article, I could see some items being questionable for the younger students in the 7-10 grades. They might have some points to be made on the Middle School age kids. But TBH you find worse on TV anymore these days.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I've read the book, it's good and their attempts to ban it are completely wrong... but is it bad that my current biggest takeaway is that I really want to take that course?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4