• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Shaman King? The Reboot You Can't Miss

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
his evil twin/descendant

Don't you mean "ancestor"?
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't it that the manga was cancelled due to poor sales? Or was it because Takei had a block? Same thing is going on with Flowers and there are no signs of its return. I'm kinda confused since Ann once made news about Shueisha once made an announcement about mama's final volume but only based on popular demand. Still, I wonder if the reboot will be identical to the manga based on some questionable choices Takei made like Chocolove's past or Yoh's age when having a son.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Wasn't it that the manga was cancelled due to poor sales? Or was it because Takei had a block? Same thing is going on with Flowers and there are no signs of its return. I'm kinda confused since Ann once made news about Shueisha once made an announcement about mama's final volume but only based on popular demand.

It seems to be a mixture of things, really. Takei has since admitted that he got tired & bored of making the manga at that point, since he felt that it was becoming more & more like a traditional action series, which he didn't want it to start becoming. When time came for the Kanzenban release, he saw the opportunity to give it the proper climax, since enough time had passed where he was interested in doing more Shaman King again. I'm sure reader interest was also dying down to some extent, which is natural for most long-running series & obviously didn't help things. If reader interest isn't as strong as before & the creator is losing interest in actually making it, then might as well cancel it.

As for the (original) volume needing enough demand from Shueisha, we'll likely never know the real answer behind that, but I'm sure that situation was just the start of what eventually led to Takei leaving Shueisha for Kodansha & taking all of his manga rights with him.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the original anime wasn't cancelled; it just went it's own way around halfway through it's run. The anime ran 2001-2002, while the manga ran from 1998 to 2004, when it was cancelled, I believe due to lower rankings and his own burnout. He got the opportunity to do the Kanzenban complete versions in 2008-09 which had lots of nice additions along with an actual ending to the story. Flowers ran from 2012-2014, and while it wasn't cancelled, the magazine it was running in shut down, leaving it with nowhere to go. Shaman King the Super Star is a direct continuation of Flowers, and has been running monthly since the Spring of 2018. It's the first part of the series Takei has done through Kodansha since leaving Shueisha. Mankin-Trad and their sister site Patch Cafe are wonderful repositories of information on this series and Hiroyuki Takei's works. Smile
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was a theme popularized in anime by Hiroyuki Takei's Shaman King in 1998.

Not only do you say anime, but you also link the anime version. Shaman King started as a manga in 1998.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:35 am Reply with quote
I am shocked Shaman King is accepted here or in modern society with a sexual predator and a racist stereotype in leading roles among other details that are kind of spoilerific. It's a pretty politically incorrect manga. I think I've stated this before, but what I'm moreover wondering is if this is a faithful recreation of the manga, how these things will hold up now. Are they going to censor it? You can easily do away with those unsavory aspects of Rio, but Chocolove is something a bit too ingrained into the core.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:03 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
I am shocked Shaman King is accepted here or in modern society with a sexual predator and a racist stereotype in leading roles among other details that are kind of spoilerific. It's a pretty politically incorrect manga. I think I've stated this before, but what I'm moreover wondering is if this is a faithful recreation of the manga, how these things will hold up now. Are they going to censor it? You can easily do away with those unsavory aspects of Rio, but Chocolove is something a bit too ingrained into the core.
'

Having recently burned through Kodansha USA's re-release of the manga, this seems like a pretty big exaggeration. The jokes about Ryu trying and failing to hit on girls isn't great or anything, but calling it any of it predatory seems like a stretch, when it's not particularly worse or as frequent than anything with Mineta in MHA even though the latter is much more of a background character. I can agree there's...problems with Joco/Chocolove (his design being one of them, but I'm still hoping they have the sense to at least remove the giant lips since even Kodansha USA's re-release left them out) but his character came off as well-intentioned enough that those problems felt more like they came from him maaaayybbeee not doing enough research on those subjects than anything malicious (which again isn't exactly great either, but it's a little easier to shrug off than material that's actively racist, and I do think there's merit in discussing that in it's own way), and the way his arc is handled actually ends up tying pretty well into the overall message of the story.

I definently have some mixed feelings about some of the material, but the overall message of the manga is about empathy and the futility of violence, and I think it handles that topic well enough that I'm looking forward to seeing it get a second shake. That said, it would be nice if they maybe cleaned up a couple of the bits that haven't aged well wherever they can.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Yoh's development is something weird. The biggest change in him is when his relationship with the cat spirit and first meetings with Anna are shown as they depict him as a more antisocial kid.

His major development in the series' present is after Faust defeats him and he goes on a one weekend training in a completely lightless cave to control his negative emotions.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sincerely?

I wanna watch it because there were A LOT of confusing data (really, what's the deal with Horohoro and his multiple backstories?).

So, I wanna see if by watching it I get it this time or maybe the Anime team can fix the confusing scenes.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
At least a certain organization of cretinous slop artists won't be able to get their covetous hands on it again and do things like changing all the characters' names and turning Yoh into a cheeseburger-gorging wannabe punk rocker.
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
I'm very excited about Shaman King coming back! The manga strongly shaped my world view when I was a teenager and I don't regret it one bit. The sequels are also much better than I expected. The series has quite a few uhh pitfalls (I wouldn't be surprised if Native Americans might not like the Patch Tribe, Chocolove's design and name etc.), but it does have a kind heart. And it at least tried to be a bit multicultural. But everyone has to see for themselves what they think of it.

Btw that's fanart at the very end of the post. I would recommend to either credit the artist or to delete the fanart. Here is a link to the original on pixiv.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1