• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Reveals Venus Wars Anime's English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Not a lot of actual dialogue in this clip, so it's hard to tell how the dub is, but Venus Wars is one of those anime films that looks really good, but whose plot and character development are basically nil. It's unfortunate. If it had been stretched out as a several part OVA, maybe followed the manga closer (the manga's a completely different beast), it would have been a classic. As-is, while it might be one of those anime that got the fledgling young otaku that was me into the medium, upon reflection, it's really nothing that special.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LightningComet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how I don't remember reading about this film before, even more so now that this clip made it that much more memorable. The big names attached to this project alone should have put it on my PtW list a long time ago.

And Joe Hisaishi's rendition of cheesy 80s rock makes for quite the jam Cool
DeceptiTom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Is this a whole new remaster/dub or is this a brand new film? because this is the first I'm hearing about either.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
It's weird seeing Chris Patton in the credits, i know he lives in LA now and Sentai don't use source connect. If they had dubbed this 10 years ago I could see Chris voicing the main character. There isn't much to go off here, but Adam Gibbs at least sounds perfectly cast here.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
#895229 wrote:
Is this a whole new remaster/dub or is this a brand new film? because this is the first I'm hearing about either.

The film is from 1989, it's just a new dub. The original dub was by Manga Entertainment from 1993.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Given this is a classic, I wasn't expecting to hear about a vocal makeover. I guess everything old is new again? Either that or companies have figured out nostalgia sells. [glances at "Locke the Superman" Blu-ray] Yeah, probably the latter.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'm amazed that Sentai's re-dubbing "Venus Wars." I have no idea why. The original Manga Entertainment dub wasn't too bad. So why is this happening? There are plenty of anime Sentai already has that deserve a dub. Why is "Venus Wars" getting another one when it already has a very serviceable dub? That's what I want to know. If I find out that shows like the original "Dirty Pair" TV series,"Gunbuster,"or "Actually,I Am..." were finally going to get a long overdue English dub,I'd cheer it and would make me want to watch it.
I ask again,why is Sentai giving "Venus Wars" a dub when it already has one? I'd love to know that. I hope someone would be kind enough to tell me because I don't think it's really necessary.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
There's really no point in spending the money to give this a brand new dub when the old one was more than serviceable. Plus, I prefer to watch 80s/90s anime with 80s/90s dubs. They just feel more authentic.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:09 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There's really no point in spending the money to give this a brand new dub when the old one was more than serviceable. Plus, I prefer to watch 80s/90s anime with 80s/90s dubs. They just feel more authentic.

I thought the dub was less than serviceable, godawful actually. Its by the same ADR director that did Angel Cop, Cyber City Oedo 808, Devilman OVA, Mad Bull 34, Genocyber, A Wind Named Amnesia, X Movie, etc. Laughing
I first watched it dubbed but afterwards stuck with the sub, however I look forward to a new take with a modern dub.

Snomaster1 wrote:

I ask again,why is Sentai giving "Venus Wars" a dub when it already has one? I'd love to know that. I hope someone would be kind enough to tell me because I don't think it's really necessary.

It shouldn't take that much effort to dub a movie compared to a TV series, they probably did it very fast & cheap. Its to appeal to as much buyers as possible and sell to those that already have the Discotek blu-ray. It gives another reason for someone to buy it, me for example. I had no interest until I learned about a new dub, now I'm interested as I'm a fan of these voice actors. Also for those used to watching old dubs its probably not a big deal but to modern viewers its very strange sounding.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:28 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
. I ask again,why is Sentai giving "Venus Wars" a dub when it already has one? I'd love to know that. I hope someone would be kind enough to tell me because I don't think it's really necessary.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that anyone here can tell you definitively, because afaik none of us work for Sentai. However, we have seen situations where the Japanese side decided they didn't like an older dub and didn't want it to be re-released, as with (we assume) Dominion Tank Police. Maybe Sentai decided the old dub wasn't up to their standards, and they didn't want to be associated with it. And at least with a single movie, it's not as much of a financial risk, compared to redubbing an entire 12-26+-episode TV series. And maybe they find that "Brand New Dub!" is good for marketing the discs and attracting streaming views.

Those are some possibilities, and I'd imagine there would be others. But companies have access to information that we don't, and they're always going to make choices that seem opaque to anime fans and viewers.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
. I ask again,why is Sentai giving "Venus Wars" a dub when it already has one? I'd love to know that. I hope someone would be kind enough to tell me because I don't think it's really necessary.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that anyone here can tell you definitively, because afaik none of us work for Sentai. However, we have seen situations where the Japanese side decided they didn't like an older dub and didn't want it to be re-released, as with (we assume) Dominion Tank Police. Maybe Sentai decided the old dub wasn't up to their standards, and they didn't want to be associated with it. And at least with a single movie, it's not as much of a financial risk, compared to redubbing an entire 12-26+-episode TV series. And maybe they find that "Brand New Dub!" is good for marketing the discs and attracting streaming views.

Those are some possibilities, and I'd imagine there would be others. But companies have access to information that we don't, and they're always going to make choices that seem opaque to anime fans and viewers.
If Dominion Police got redubbed I'd buy that Blu ray in a Heartbeat even through I have HiDive.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I've always enjoyed Venus Wars since it first came out in Japan. I think I've owned it on every format, including LaserDisc. Not Shakespeare, but then I never really appreciated Shakespeare's stories in their original forms, preferring instead Kurosawa's interpretations of the Bard's works. And Venus Wars is a pretty good riff on the classic "us vs. them" trope.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 am Reply with quote
The predictable casting does little for me I would of found a redub of Ninja Scroll to be far more compelling but with the current talent pool for Houston dubbing being so small I doubt I would be satisfied with their results. What it is going to take to get former Steven Foster regulars like Todd Waite, Paul Hope, Dylan Godwin and Joshua Sheltz back into Houston dubbing??

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:36 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Isn't there also the old "they simply couldn't get the rights to the old dub" possibility as well?

Or the "figuring out who even has the rights to the old dub and then negotiating with them is more trouble than its worth" possibility?

ADDENDUM: Another reason could simply be that the old dub was recorded on analogue tape (I presume they were still using analogue tape for dubs in the early 1990s) and the audio quality is subpar for Blu-Ray.

I've been trying to get at least half-an-hour of clean voice samples of a certain character for [reasons of the non-commercial fun fan thing sort], and I'm recording the audio straight from DVD using Audacity. I don't necessarily notice the mediocre audio quality when I'm just watching the DVDs, and these are DVDs released by a major American studio, but, when I'm trying to find usable voice samples (which are much rarer than I anticipated due to background music), even the "clean" portions still have very apparent tape hiss which is next to impossible to remove even using the Noise Removal feature in the software without greatly affecting the quality of the voice itself.

So I can imagine that a nearly 30-year old dub recorded on audio tape might not be worth the effort to clean up compared to just re-dubbing it with modern digital recording technology, at least if it's not an iconic dub like the original dubs for Akira or the Troma/Fox release of My Neighbor Totoro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1