• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Omega Anime's English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brook09

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah the western release of the blu ray's was censored, and it was released by funimation.

Not holding any breaths for an uncensored blu ray release of the second season, also might be checking the western simulcast tot he japanese one, for any differences, which are definitely going to be there.

A bummer, cause funimation released high school dxd uncensored, but after this and tsugumomo, the days of uncensored blu ray's by funimation might be over.

Edit: In the private tracker scene it's well documented that the western bd's are censored compared to the japanese one's, skinship esp of demon lord crush and the panther girl was left censored.

Last edited by Brook09 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
AManOfCharacter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Brook09 wrote:
Yeah the western release of the blu ray's was censored, and it was released by funimation.

What was censored? I recall hearing that some of the graphic-ness of the non-nude fanservice was censored (blackened out or motion-reduced) in the Japanese broadcasts, then put into the JP Blurays.

Were these scenes not "uncensored" in the Funimation Bluray? I know censorship applies to any material edits, but typically it's understood to mean nudity. Was there nudity (like, female nips) in How Not to Summon a Demon Lord? I'm not aware that there was.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Brook09 wrote:
A bummer, cause funimation released high school dxd uncensored, but after this and tsugumomo, the days of uncensored blu ray's by funimation might be over.

They released the exact same as came out in Japan. If you were expecting nudity in Demon Lord, the show doesn't have it, not at all to the point of Dxd. Also it's very possible Tsugumomo was probably just what the JP studio gave Funi, and they were not in a position to get the completely uncensored versions. Stop blaming Funimation for things you don't understand.

--
--
Edit: Also the article should be edited to show that Crunchyroll has confirmed they will continue to stream it into season 2. https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/02/22/broadcast-date-for-how-not-to-summon-a-demon-lord-season-2-revealed-with-new-visual

Last edited by LegitPancake on Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brook09

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Brook09 wrote:

They released the exact same as came out in Japan. If you were expecting nudity in Demon Lord, the show doesn't have it, not at all to the point of Dxd. Also it's very possible Tsugumomo was probably just what the JP studio gave Funi, and they were not in a position to get the completely uncensored versions. Stop blaming Funimation for things you don't understand.

Matter of fact they sold tsugumomo as uncut, and also advertised it as such.

Same as the azur lane bd's which they also said were uncut, which in that respect was right as ep 6 kept the nudity from the japanese blu ray release.

They specifically used the word uncut for two different instances, one where the censorship was kept and for the other they removed it, they didn't use the word uncensored, as there was debate in tsugumomo's case that uncut doesn't mean nudity etc. but in the case of azur lane they used the same expression which begs the answer if the case of tsugumomo was really false advertised.

Last edited by Brook09 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
AManOfCharacter wrote:
Was there nudity (like, female nips) in How Not to Summon a Demon Lord? I'm not aware that there was.

There was not.

LegitPancake wrote:
Brook09 wrote:

^ Pretty much this.
People who don't actually understand the material and complain about "censorship" where there is none just make themselves look bad when they make such uninformed comments. But the worst part is it tends to spread misinformation which tends to get out of control. I wish these fans would be more responsible...

Anyway, FUNimation's release of How Not to Summon a Demon Lord is basically identical to the Japanese version. It was a solid release.
(The only issue the release had was using Version 2 of the Opening for the whole show, but it only had one slight difference anyway, so it doesn't even matter that much.)

==

Anyway, all that aside. I'm a big fan of this series, and am so glad the anime gets to continue. I'm really looking forward to seeing this arc animated. Very Happy
Glad they've already committed to a dub too.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty cool to see Kira Buckland in the lead role of a Funimation dub,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1