• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gege Akutami 'Probably' Plans to End Jujutsu Kaisen Manga Within 2 Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Right now, excluding Hiatus x Hiatus, there are five manga in WSJ with over 100 chapters -- this, Dr. Stone, Black Clover, MHA, and One Piece. Out of those, can anyone make an educated guess as to which will end first? I think I've heard noises about Dr. Stone approaching the finale.

(Yozakura Family is half a year away from the 100-chapter mark.)
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Right now, excluding Hiatus x Hiatus, there are five manga in WSJ with over 100 chapters -- this, Dr. Stone, Black Clover, MHA, and One Piece. Out of those, can anyone make an educated guess as to which will end first? I think I've heard noises about Dr. Stone approaching the finale.

Dr. Stone, for sure. It's clearly walking towards the end right now. I'd argue that HeroAca would be the next one, considering the latest developments.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Out of those, I only read Dr. Stone and MHA. However I don't feel Dr. Stone is in end game terrority yet. It could easily peter out, though. MHA feels it could finish sooner, the last arc could easily have been a final battle, although I'd never underestimate a battle shonen to pull a huge arc out of nowhere.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I prefer series that are shorter, not saying I hate longer series, but a nice condescend and concise story does what it needs to do and ends. This has been a nice trend that has been going on recently.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, JJK does seem to be in end game territory what with the true main villain now identified and every thing starting to gear up towards a climax. Perhaps it will be the new model going forward for Shonen battle series along with Demon Slayer.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
It's been going for 3 years this month; I could see 2 two more for a total 5-year-run being a satisfying amount. It's one of my favorites currently, and I hope it hits that rare sweet spot between "too long" and "rushed/cancelled". I don't know if it's age or shelf space, but I've definitely been preferring shorter series lately.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good, if the anime adapts the whole thing then this is another one I look forward to buying.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Dr.Stone I don't see ending soon yet because they still need to go to like 3-5 more places before they can get the stuff to "build you know what" to reach Why Man. However I can see them speeding this up if both Stanley and Dr. Xeno end up joining.

I have not read any MHA lately but I think I heard at one point it could do a time skip and do a sequel Manga thing.
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Out of those, I only read Dr. Stone and MHA. However I don't feel Dr. Stone is in end game terrority yet. It could easily peter out, though. MHA feels it could finish sooner, the last arc could easily have been a final battle, although I'd never underestimate a battle shonen to pull a huge arc out of nowhere.

MHA's last arc could've "easily been a final battle" when Deku is nowhere near mastering OFA? Makes perfect sense.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had the chance to read or watch this series yet, although it is kinda cool to hear that the author already has a general idea of how he wants it to end and a timeframe for it. Kinda gives you the idea that he has some hopes to not drag the story on so long or far that people may start to dislike it or get bored with it. Hopefully his plan works out for it!

As for the discussion in here... honestly, I don't see Dr. STONE ending anytime in the next 2-3 years. The current arc almost feels like an end spoiler[(oh my god, the PAIN I'm experiencing from this arc has me reeling! I can't wait for this arc to end because I hate how dark it's become.)], but there's still a lot more that is still to be set up before we actually reach the ending. Black Clover, I think, has more of a chance to end in the next 1-2 years than the others listed. spoiler[It definitely feels like, once the Spade Kingdom devils are defeated, that we'll probably do a jump-ahead a few years to see who has become the new Wizard King between Asta or Yuno (although I actually wouldn't be surprised/would actually love it if they both end up as Wizard Kings).]
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully in 2 years that's not how Gege Akutami feels. I really want to see JJK and BNHA take their time and fully flesh out the stories. And please, no time skips.
OmegaE50

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

Dr. Stone, for sure. It's clearly walking towards the end right now. I'd argue that HeroAca would be the next one, considering the latest developments.

I can say you're about half right I remember reading an interview last year That the author for MHA said it’s only two-thirds done so I can see it ending in about two maybe three years
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:27 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I haven't had the chance to read or watch this series yet, although it is kinda cool to hear that the author already has a general idea of how he wants it to end and a timeframe for it. Kinda gives you the idea that he has some hopes to not drag the story on so long or far that people may start to dislike it or get bored with it. Hopefully his plan works out for it!

As for the discussion in here... honestly, I don't see Dr. STONE ending anytime in the next 2-3 years. The current arc almost feels like an end spoiler[(oh my god, the PAIN I'm experiencing from this arc has me reeling! I can't wait for this arc to end because I hate how dark it's become.)], but there's still a lot more that is still to be set up before we actually reach the ending. Black Clover, I think, has more of a chance to end in the next 1-2 years than the others listed. spoiler[It definitely feels like, once the Spade Kingdom devils are defeated, that we'll probably do a jump-ahead a few years to see who has become the new Wizard King between Asta or Yuno (although I actually wouldn't be surprised/would actually love it if they both end up as Wizard Kings).]

And on My Hero Academia, am I the only one who don't like that the current arc in the manga is spoiler[too dark? I'm worried that MHA will become more darker and more characters will be killed off.] God forbid.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:25 am Reply with quote
Although its more of a rough idea I'm glad to hear the author has an ending in mind and doesn't want to carry it on beyond the series' natural endpoint. I'm writing this as a One Piece fan so I know what it means for a long-running series to keep going.

If it ends well and strongly it'll remain in the minds of fans as a high-quality rather than one that was initially good, then experienced a dip in quality due to being forcefully extended beyond its natural length.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote
The anime and manga industry standard has changed drastically over the years with more decade long works coming to an end. Keeping a mangaka around for too long will mean he will have to get higher pay. Longer animes means higher expectations. People also nowadays lack the time to marathon 100+ episodes or read 50+ volumes. Manga and light novel sales as a whole have been trickling downwards. New hit series springing up forces people to buy more manga or light novels.

Shonen Jump's long lasting game franchises like Dragon Ball, Naruto, and Yugioh all moved to V-Jump, and they really don't need more. These franchises bring a ton of gaming and card sales. so they won't really end. Fate and Sword Art Online also have heavy roots in the gaming industry as well.

Demon Slayer showed a new work will easily outsell the entire industry. Hype outsells a dedicated fanbase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2