• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The World Ends With You Anime Replaces Opening Song After ALI Band Drummer's Arrest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
If it's a musician being unpersoned from Japanese media, it's gotta be drugs.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:04 am Reply with quote
It's usually drugs or compensated dating with a minor.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote
please dont be a sexual abuser
Idgal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:25 am Reply with quote
Damn shame, ALI was blowing up too. Hopefully they can survive this.

I bet it’s drugs
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:18 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
It's usually drugs or compensated dating with a minor.

Or both...
merr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 am Reply with quote
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
the band has 7 members according to the picture in the article. one of them messed up and this happens? I will never understand their industry mentality. it's like when a idol is found having a boyfriend (god forbid to have a life outside of your work) and she needs to apologize in tears and be penalized for it... no wonder the suicide rate in there is what it is.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
The same thing happened to the band Cro-Magnon whose "Bowl Man" was the excellent OP for the equally excellent Hyouge Mono. One of the band members was arrested for marijuana, and the NHK and the production committee pulled the OP after four episodes. The song as taken from the group's album is still out there on the interwebs, but the animated OP is not.

Wonder if baseball's Shohei Ohtani will stop using "Lost in Paradise" as his lead-in song after this?
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote
Weren't they already animating an opening to sync with their music? That's gotta be awful if they have to sort of restart
poisondusk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
Japanese news sites are now reporting that the arrest relates to a bank transfer scam. He was the one withdrawing the money.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
kikuzinho wrote:
the band has 7 members according to the picture in the article. one of them messed up and this happens? I will never understand their industry mentality. it's like when a idol is found having a boyfriend (god forbid to have a life outside of your work) and she needs to apologize in tears and be penalized for it... no wonder the suicide rate in there is what it is.

Someone secretly dating isn't comparable to serious crimes like sexual abuse or fraud.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Dang, I was looking forward to hopefully hearing another great song by them. They even pulled the video that was in the article linked from this one. That's quick work.
Hopefully the rest of the band can move forward from this.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
Weren't they already animating an opening to sync with their music? That's gotta be awful if they have to sort of restart

Thought so too. Well, who knows how much they have finished until that point. It might be rather a rare case but I remember the documentation about the production process of Kill la Kill at Studio Trigger where you can see what a close call the finalization process of the opening was, since key animator Yoh Yoshinari, who was mainly responsible for the key animation of the OP sequence, hadn't finished most of it yet while the first episode was already airing.
I suppose they can still work it out somehow since setting well-timed cuts for the sequences will do the majority of the sync magic. Would be interesting to see how such a quick replacement process works during the last-minute production stage in situations like that...
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I don’t know the band but if one member out of seven is accused but not convicted of a financial crime the decision seems pretty hasty and drastic (though maybe also standard in Japan).

If I understand correctly many anime openings and ending song deals are mostly about cross-promotion? If so maybe economic implications of the scandal are a major factor in these decisions?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
poisondusk wrote:
Japanese news sites are now reporting that the arrest relates to a bank transfer scam. He was the one withdrawing the money.

That's it? Seriously?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2